Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm looking for a bit of advice. Im an on off runner over the last 2-3 years and this year i decided enough messing about and sign up for the robin hood 1/2 marathon in september.
My problem is that i always start off nice and easy and as soon as i build my runs up to a round a 4 mile run then i get hit by this horrible stomach cramp in my lower stomach that makes me feel like (without sounding crude) i need to go to the loo sharpish. These cramps cause me to end up stopping, last approx 10 mins, at times are really painful and sometimes make me feel nauseaus too. The other day i ran a really comfortable 3 mile run no probs, today i only managed 2 mile and had to stop due to this cramp.
Is there something i'm doing wrong i'm paced at a 10 minute mile and trying to keep it at that as my distance increases.
Any advice will be greatfully recieved as i dont want this to effect my run on the big day.
i ate a small bowl of all bran for breakfast with skimmed milk and a mug of tea but this was over an hour and a half before the run.
Thanks Eve :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Eve.

It could be that like me you need to leave a lot more time between eating and running...I can't eat anything for 4 hours before a run...ideally 5.

No other ideas I'm afraid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hiya,

Do you drink enough water during the day? I used to get it every time I ran, and thought it could be because of running too soon after a snack, but still would get the same problem! but once i started drinking a good 2 litres a day, i rarely suffer from the cramps now. i think dehydration can bring it on.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Welcome to RF Eve.

It could be that like me you need to leave a lot more time between eating and running...I can't eat anything for 4 hours before a run...ideally 5.

No other ideas I'm afraid.
Yeah, I agree with Steve on this one. Nothing to eat for me for at least 4 hours before a run.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i am the complete opposite...

i always have a breakfast before i run in the morning or a snack if i run in the evening...

i find nothing worse than running hungry on an empty stomach !!!...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Doesnt matter. Revenged offered an opposite opinion so the order of the forum is restored and disent rules again :d

... Perhaps not an unexpected event?:amused:

But it would be pretty boring if everyone was of the exact same opinion. What kind of exchanges would we witness under those circumstances? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts