Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I started running in April this year, I was walking to get fitter, but got bored, so started running and soon became hooked. I have always been active, but never fit or had any stamina. My fitness is improving by the week. Ran my first 5k in July time of 30 mins, but it was very hot. I have entered a 10k next month, I manage to run 4 or 5 days per week usually approximately 3 to 4 miles, meeting up with a friend once a week, which is really helpful. I am taking it very slowly, but at the grand old age of 43, keep wondering why I didn't do this 10 years ago.

Love reading all the comments on the forums, hoping some will help me, especially any from runners also starting at 40+.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Lyn

My name is also Lyn (alias nellie) I am 42 and only started running in April this year!!!! what a coincidence...have not entered any races yet...ran on the treadmill firstly but have just started to run in the great outdoors and am loving it I try to run 3 to 4 days per week and go to the gym 3 to 4 times per week for cross training...I also am taking it very slooooowly and like yourself don't know why I left it this long to do something that makes you feel so good. Look forward to your comments on the forum...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nellie,

Lovely to hear from someone doing similar. I am really nervous about 10k next month, not having run that far yet. I try and think of it as a run and not a race, as it is local, and part of my usual 'running route'.

How are you getting on? have you found things get easier? To start with I was running in my wellies....long story, but I go to feed my 'aging' horse in the evening, and started running to the farm, thats why I had wellies on...not good, now have a slight shin pain..but also have proper running shoes now.

Lyn

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hello Lyn's

I started running at 40, over weight, un-fit, smoking 35/40 ciggies per day and could drink for england. I gave all of that the elbow and started running.
Everyone thinks, ' WHY DIDN'T I START THIS 10 YEARS AGO '. Even 5 would have been good !!!!

I have just joined a local running club, which is well recommended. As I will never break any world records, (not for running anyway) I was a little frightened that I may be made to look a fool going to a club with proper runners, but was amazed, people of all levels and standards go to these places.

Take a look in the club section (tab at top of page) for your local clubs, and give them a try. If you don't like it, don't go again.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dale....I'm sure you aren't really a snail, not compared to me. I too have not given up..but have 'moderated' the drink, definately not drinking the night before running...it plays havoc. I need all the energy I can get, just wondering if I can muster the energy to go out when I get home from work (yes, I am working at the moment...sort of!)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Lyn

Well done doing a 10k i'm sure you will do fine...I couldn't even consider anything like that at the moment...i'm still totteling along at a snails pace trying to hold on to running for 30 minutes without stopping!!! ha ha....i'm sure you notice a difference with running shoes compared to your wellies...
Went out for a run today, really enjoyed it even though it was raining....in fact that made it even more fun..look forward to hearing how you get on, keep me posted..best wishes,

·
Registered
310 Posts
Drinking in moderation is ok. But remember to drink lots of water too. Very important to keep yourself hydrated when exercising.

'Dale The Snail' is a nickname I was given at work when I first started running, and it kind of stuck !!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Dale

Well done for turning your life around....do you think it's something to do with us turning the big 40!!!! that we feel this need to do something positive like running.....thanks for the advice about the clubs, the gym I go to have a running club so I may give it a go...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Nellie

Managed to do 4 miles last night after work, bit slow, but still pleased to get round. That ran off the bar of Dairy Milk that I pigged yesterday afternoon! I map out my route, then walk the last mile home to 'cool down'. I was 'told' by my '40 something' running friend, (who has also recently started) that I had to enter the 10k with her...she made me do it, but I am pleased that she did as it is more of a challenge than the 5k, but need to pace myself carefully. I can see us finishing last, but somebody has to be.

Look forward to hearing how you are getting on.

Lyn.

ps. Thank you 'Dale' for the 'drinking' advice, I drink lots of water, but on the training runs I can stop and do a Paula R. on the way round, I don't want to be doing that on the 10k....need to 'pace myself', any advice welcome!

·
Registered
310 Posts
If it's good enough for Paula ???????????

Make sure you take on some liquid before your 10k but not to much, use the toilets before you start and things should be fine.
Don't worry about your finishing time, getting into the swing of taking part is the first challenge, times improve with time. (the more you do the better you get). Plus it's more fun at the back.
Don't think a 5k is easy. The last one I did was on 6th Aug. in blistering heat, the first guy home recorded a time of 15min. 38sec. - Try keeping up with that and say it's easy.

Good luck with the 10k and enjoy your training.

DTS

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dale,

Thanks for the advice, as I am so new to running, in my mind I still don't think of myself as a 'runner'. The 5k was hard, it was really hot, and there seemed to be so many serious looking 'athletic' people. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, and I'm really glad I did.

Reading the comments etc on this website is really useful, I don't feel so 'on my own'. I shall keep on going however slow I might be, I never thought I could enjoy running, but definately proved wrong. In the past I have been guilty of seeing people out running and thinking 'what are they doing to themselves'....but now all I want to do is go out and join them!

Look forward to checking this site to see how people are doing and hopefully get some really useful advice.
keep on running

Lyn

·
Registered
334 Posts
I know this may sound like a silly question... do you use Google Earth to map your route?... i just go out and run and watch my time and keep going until I at least run 30 minutes but I would love to know how far I am running...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Nellie,

I started off just by running, the first big milestone was the end of my road, and as that isn't very far......but I was really pleased with myself!!!

But I have to confess I have it easy for planning routes and measuring them as I work for the Ordnance Survey. I can get the maps on screen and using an electronic measure thing I can work out how far I have run. Sometimes it maybe more, but usually not anywhere near as far as it felt!

When I was in France the week leading up to the 5k in July and was worried that I wouldn't make it, I just ran for 30 minutes at a time, which was just as good. But I now find that I like to know exactly when I have reached my next milestone ie. 4 then 5 miles etc or KMs as can convert distance into any measurement.

Anyway, enough about me, how are you getting on? please keep in touch, its nice to know there is someone else similar to me, and how you are coping. You sound fitter than me, I work shifts and have trouble fitting in the running let alone going to the gym like you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for that

Oh believe me i'm not fit.... i started the gym in April this year and built up 30 minutes on the treadmill but always envied people that I saw running outside...i then found this forum and one day took the bull by the horns and had a go and I have not looked back since... at the moment i work from home, so I finish about 2pm and try and fit in a run in the afternoon, but that may all change now schools back!!!! I pick my son (aged 15) up from school and then my daughter from University. I will have to start measuring my route just out of interest to see how far I actually am going!!!ha ha.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Nellie,

You just get into a routine and then it all changes, make sure you find time for you though! Did you find it really hard running in the hot weather a few weeks back? I really struggled. Mind you haven't tried the freezing cold weather yet....don't want to think about that yet. I find running really does 'blow the cobwebs' out, I don't get half as many headaches....maybe thats because I don't drink so much alcohol though!

My sister who lives abroad came over last week, she has only ever run on a treadmill, although she is older than me, she has always been fit. She said it was 'different' getting out in the fresh air, bit tricky on the tracks with stones and ruts and real uphill bits. But that didn't stop her leaving me behind, thats when I realised it was no use trying to keep up....I got knackered really quickly, find your own pace.

If you need any maps...........................

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was actually on holiday the two weeks that summer arrived!!!!! when we got back it rained and rained and rained some more.... the place we stayed had a gym with very basic equipment so I just used the cross trainer did not attempt to run in the Spanish heat!! I know what you mean about the cobwebs..I love to feel the air on my skin..I was out yesterday and the rain came on and oh my I was in heaven ha ha (how sad am I) I just felt so good.

I went out on Sunday with my husband for a run but he is much faster than me, although he only trains in the gym, I tried to keep up but got a stitch so I slowed back down to my own pace and felt a lot more in control. Do you run every day?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts