Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch out for the group of six Maasai warriors during Sundays London marathon. Shouldn't be hard to spot in their traditional robes, carrying shields and fighting sticks.
Their shoes are made from used car tyres, and you can bet that they didn't get a gait analysis done when they got those!
Apparently they couldn't believe that people were paid sponsorship just for running, something which they do naturally in their everyday lives (often running all day in order to chase down and kill lions). So they've been sent over here by their tribal elders to raise money for a life-saving well for their village. At the moment the women and children have to trek something like 12k in order to brink back dirty water for cooking etc. Three out of every five of their children die before reaching their 5th birthday.

Find out more about them at www.maasaimarathon.org

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Just had a look at the video...

Blimey! You'd almost think those 'trainers' cause more problems than they prevent!... and 20km to get water, that's pretty awful :(

You're right pedestrian, I doubt very much they've had a gait analysis, but then I don't think they're the kind of people who'd complain if their shins started to ache a little! Best of luck to them raising as much money as possible.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ahhhh, the good running can do :) And that's really awesome that they're doing they running themselves aswell... I mean coming over to take part... that puts a smile on my face :) I of course will have to give them whatever pennies I can. So many worthwhile causes... So many pub lunches that I don't mind missing out on!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I am really interested to know what times they do.

They must look at our trainers and wonder what the hell we are wearing :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Saw them on Breakfast earlier in the week..they are great! They will be chanting/singing on course too...should be awesome...bound to be stopped on Tower Bridge!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
This kind of story is what makes these big sporting events so great.
I hope they raise loads of cash, and do their village proud.
I hope everyone running for a charity raises stacks of dosh, and good luck to my mate Blind Dave and his unbelievable 7 marathons, hoping to bring in a million pounds for his charity.
Dave is working hard all year round for 'Guide Dogs', putting on shows, arranging fund raising events and helping other blind people.

When we hear about African Warriors saving their village, and blind runners doing 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents, it makes a jog around the streets of London sound quite easy..... How simple life is.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Amen brother. Not to mention last night I was reading the big thing in a runners world my dad finally sent me about ryan shay, and blimey... I was never really aware how FAST these guys actually do marathons and how much and how hard they train... I almost felt like it put me to shame, but then I just felt spurred on!

7 marathons in 7 days... blind... legend!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dale the Snail said:
This kind of story is what makes these big sporting events so great.
I hope they raise loads of cash, and do their village proud.
I hope everyone running for a charity raises stacks of dosh, and good luck to my mate Blind Dave and his unbelievable 7 marathons, hoping to bring in a million pounds for his charity.
Dave is working hard all year round for 'Guide Dogs', putting on shows, arranging fund raising events and helping other blind people.

When we hear about African Warriors saving their village, and blind runners doing 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents, it makes a jog around the streets of London sound quite easy..... How simple life is.
I saw him on the news tonight, almost brought a tear to my eye, what a guy.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bet that they suffered terribly from the cold when the rain started, considering that they were running in their traditional robes. I don't imagine those garments were of any kind of wicking fabric either. :(
They'd said beforehand that they were'nt really out to get a decent time, as they were more interested in the fund-raising aspect of the event. When I saw them briefly on the TV, they'd stopped to have another photograph taken. Goodness knows how often that took place along the course!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Have to admit when I saw them on the telly they were walking and looking very miserable - not quite the smiling happy dancing tribe I was expecting! But indeed... if I was stopped every 100m to have a photo taken I'd probably lose enthusiasm a little!

Glad they managed to raise so much money though - excellent stuff :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
inspirational, did anyone see a programme meet the natives, this programme was excellent and it brought me to tears to see the happiness on the tribes faces at the most simplist of things that we take for granted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts