Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I was just wondering whether anyone puts their trainers in the washing machine? My asics 2130's are now grey and caked in mud after all the recent rain and could do with a wash but I wasn't sure whether machine washing (on a gentle cycle)would damage the gel, etc in them,
thanks!
sophie

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i think... that its generally bad to wash trainers other than under the tap with a brush, however im not sure if this is down to the temperature melting/ shrinking things

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I don't know if it would damage the gel or not but I have washed running shoes in the machine before on a cool wash and I wouldn't do it again. Either they shrunk or my feet grew.:lol:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have washed loads of trainers in the washing machine over the years. I've had no probs it always seems to revitalise them and tighten them up (shrink!) a bit:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
personally I like the look of runners that have been through the weather... it indicates that I'm a 'seasoned runner' to other runners when I'm out ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a warning on the label of my new asics not to attempt putting them in the machine as it can affect the glue/gel etc I wouldnt do it, I have rubbed them with a soapy brush before but the muck shows they are well used!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I often wash my trainers... usually only when they're caked in mud or soaked through with dirty water.

If you do decide to machine wash... a couple of points:
- Either tie up, or remove the laces from the shoes; if they find their way through one of the little holes in the barrel it'll shred the laces completely (as in my experience) or potentially it could bugger up the machine!
- Use as low a temperature as is possible to avoid shrinkage/deformation
- Use non-bio detergent and no fabric softener (as with all technical clothing)
- NEVER put them onto a dry cycle!!! This is near guaranteed to damage either the foam/gel or glue holding it all together. (I once had a pair tumble-dried, the upper part shrank, and the foam sole expanded to a good 2" thick!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do they have an air bubble/gel thing? As that'll usually get owned by a washing machine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts