Runners Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was supposed to be running The Madrid half this weekend but due to coronavirus restrictions and the like I decided to miss it. My son Chris ran the race, his first half, and had a pretty good run. He has done a number of 5km and 10km runs with PBs of 18:58 for 5km and 39:20 for 10km, he has also run the marathon distance in training in 3:39:54.
I told him that I thought he was certainly capable of sub 1:30 and possibly even 1:25 if everything went to plan.
The first 5km of the half is uphill and he had decided that he would make a cautious start and then build up pace. he finished with 1:29:22 in 288th place of 7300 runners. He was happy but felt he could do better.
He said after the race that he had beed a little too cautious in the early miles and felt full of running at the end, I told him that was better than blowing up at 15k and struggling to the finish, you can always try a different tactic in the next race.
We are planning to do a marathon together next year, but have yet to decide on the venue, Berlin, Valencia, Manchester and Madrid are in the mix.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts