Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently following a 10k schedule which peaks at 40 miles a week.

In the past I have peaked at 55, but then tapered after just a couple of weeks at this peak.

This time I aim to increase the mileage further, over a period of time, until I am consistantly running 50- 60 miles a week

What I'm not certain about, is whether I should ease off of hill work /speed sessions when I peak on this current schedule for a period of time to avoid burning out, until I comfortably maintain the higher mileage as it is another step up for me?

Or should I still continue with the hill work/speed sessions during the increase which will be gradual anyway?

·
Registered
664 Posts
tbh 40 miles a week seems highish to me for a 10K schedule, I would expect lower milage but some hill & speed sessions to yield better results.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
40 miles a week for a 10km? The only people I know who are doing that sort of mileage in my club are training for half or full marathons.

I agree with Calton, I would expect to see to see speed work/intervals in a 10km plan, instead of that many miles.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I agree with calton too...

How far is the longest run in the 40 mile weeks?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i don't think working up to run a high distance and only doing this for only a couple of weeks is a very good plan... i think it's much better to do a lower amount of miles a week and maintain it long term...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I would imagine the 40miles per week schedule involves a lot of easy paced runs and focuses on 'time on your feet'... nothing wrong with that. It all depends on personal preference, some people will prefer speedwork, some people will prefer just running often - Ultimately both will lead to improvement!

I've been running 30-40mile weeks recently, with my main aim being 10k - but also trying to maintain endurance for a reasonable half marathon time in October.

In answer to your question though - I would be comfortable in maintaining the same level of intensive workouts, but increase the mileage in the easy runs. Once the body is used to that you can think about upping the speed/strength work mileage. If you wanted to you can increase both at the same time, but I would just suggest that if you take this route you slow down the rate at which you increase your training loads ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Seems like a lot of mileage for a 10k to me. Doesn't sound like a race specific schedule.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone.:d

I haven’t explained myself very well.:embarrassed:

The longest run in the schedule from Bob Glover’s book is 12 miles, and the peak of 40 miles is for 5 of the 12 weeks

It’s a five day a week plan.

As with Richard, I have a half marathon in October aswell so am using this plan with that in mind

What I really wanted to know was how I should go about increasing my mileage to 50-60 miles a week when I have completed my current schedule?

In the past I have dropped my mileage back drastically after a schedule,but I want to use the peak of 40 miles as a base to work upto 50-60 a week, I am unsure of the level of hard workouts that I should continue doing until I reach the that figure ,but I think Richard has confirmed what I was wondering.

what do the rest of you think?:d

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
personally....

i'd follow the old addage of adding a maximum of 10% to your weekly mileage per week.
mostly on the main long run, and perhaps some on the tempo run if there's one in the schedule.

hill work i'd leave in for now, strength is important for preventing injuries as you up the distance.
i rarely do any speed work but that would depend on your aims/goals.

maybe increase ~10% and hold mileage for a couple of weeks to see how your system responds and re-evaluate after that.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
probably :rolleyes:
I'm not saying everyone's advice isn't useful and informative! I'm sure you've taken it onboard and will consider what everyone has said ;)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Well when I first read HF post I thought he was running 40 miles in one session for a 10K and I was scared. Do you train with a heart rate monitor HF?

I would have thought if you are doing lots of miles you should ease back on shorter intense runs - you will have a cardio vascular system to envy.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well when I first read HF post I thought he was running 40 miles in one session for a 10K and I was scared. Do you train with a heart rate monitor HF?

I would have thought if you are doing lots of miles you should ease back on shorter intense runs - you will have a cardio vascular system to envy.

40 miles in a session, me?!:lol:

I do train with a hr monitor though SE

thanks for your thoughts on the intense runs:d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I remember training for my first half (I sound like a season pro) using a HR monitor and I found it really useful for those slow steady runs and building up mileage and I also found my stamina improved as well.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ermmm is there a naked race???

Getting back into my training I'm experiementing with some speedwork to try and get my pace back to where it was 12 months ago

1 - 18 of 18 Posts