Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From treadmill to outside. In about 5 mins. Ive run out of excuses to keep using the treadmill now and Lord knows its boring when your on it for half an hour. How sad is it that I actually feel nervous ?!

Ive driven the van around the farm track at the front of my house and its 1.2 miles. I will be over the moon if I can do one full loop and then some walk/run/walk/run.

Guess it will be interesting to see how running on a treadmill at 2% gradient compares to running outside, Im sure thats a question alot of gym bunnies and new runners want to know.

Right Im off.....

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Good luck! You will enjoy it much more than the treadmill and by running on the TM with a 2% gradient it will help prepare you for running outdoors. I was also nervous about running outside but I havent looked back since my first outdoor run.

Look forward to hearing how your first run outside went, dont be to upset though if you don't get the result you expected on your first attempt. It will come to you very quickly...honest :)

O.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hope it is going well,

I will never forget my first. 3 miles, the first half uphill in wales. It was so much harder than the treadmill, but much more rewarding.

Let us know how you did

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hope you enjoy it

Wanting to hear report when you get back !

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it was all over in about 25 minutes but it was good. Much better than expected in fact. I did what I reckon was about 2 miles as it was about 1.75 laps of continuous running, then walked for 2 minutes, then ran for only a further 3ish minutes and stopped because I was happy enough really, had completed two laps, and it occurred to me that fat boys running on the road for the first time get shin splints.

The loop is a very gentle down slope for 0.5 mile and then going up the other side 0.7 miles of short bits that are steep (in a beginners kind of way - probably no more than 5 % really) and then totally flat bits. So both the pace and the heart rate were up and down throughout.

I was slow doing the first continuous bit, it took 20 minutes, which I was suprised at as I thought I was going faster and the time flew.

Mentally that was much better for me than the treadmill and I might even venture physically it was slightly easier than the treadmill set at 2%. I haven't been able to do more than 14 minutes of continual running with a 2% setting on treadmill and I hate every second of it .

I don't know if thats because I was able to vary the pace to suit and was noticably cooler and generally more comfortable.

The dog thought it was all rather fun anyway and wasn't even panting. I swear he was laughing at me.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Taking the dog along can be a good thing but sometimes when you look down and they are barely even trying it does knock you a wee bit.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Brilliant report, well done on your first outdoor run :) The time does fly much faster when running outside doesnt it :)

No going back to the treadmill now? :)

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That is great news, keep it up and keep us posted :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well done Vaughan.

Keep it up but don't do too much yet...build up slowly.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
great post vaughan, a joy to read :)

Congrats on your first run outside! I'm surprised actually, I'm sure most people comment that they find their first run outside much harder than the treadmill! You've done well :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your encouragement.

Richard I was very suprised to that it was more manageable than the treadmill. It almost seemed that it was a differant sort of fatigue I was experiencing. The fact that I was considerably cooler seemed to make a differance. After the treadmill in the gym Im drenched. Possibly the variations in pace and ups and downs in gradient helped I don't know. I think its fair to say though that 2%, maybe even 1.5% equates to outdoor running on the flat for the next time you all get asked that on the beginners forum.

I think the advice to build up slowly is sensible. In light of the fact that I have minor shin splints today I may alternate between treadmill and outside for a while to ease in.....then again I may just load up on Ibuprofen !

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I think alternating is a good idea. I did that at first. Then got carried away and ended up out for 3 weeks. Stick to the slow build up with rest and you will be fine.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Great posting Vaughan. Enjoying it is definitely key to all of this. I rarely run in the gym these days but once the weather turns, no doubt I'll be back.

Two points you might be interested in

I never take ibuprofen except for a race, I fear that my running would become dependent on being 'niggle' free.

Rather than drive round a route use mapmyrun.com and set the view to satellite. From this you can mark out your route on an aerial photo to plotting accurate distances on the paths/tracks and roads you use. Its a lot easier and doesn't waste fuel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats an interesting point regarding the ibuprofen scr8pe. From reading the forum postings I think its fairly common to be anxious before a run, I know I always have a feeling of impending doom (think thats just because Im a bit crap though :)) before I start, it wouldn't be difficult to convince yourself that without pain killers you just couldn't do it would it ?

Im still quite heavy for running (16 st, 5lb), and I don't see that changing greatly to be honest unless I knock the little bit of weights I do once a week on the head, but I think Im at a manageable weight to avoid shin splints when Ive become a bit more accustomed to the impact.

Ive started doing a little bit of plyometrics for lower body recently. Ive no idea if that would impact on running speed, and ability to cope with impact and hills at all, I just like doing it. I know sprinters love it does anyone else do it ?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that mapmyrun.com . I love it already because Ive discovered that the continuous bit was actually 2.12 miles. Very important that extra 0.12 !! :d

·
Registered
131 Posts
well done.

i'm the oppostie in that i've never actually set foot on a treadmill. my sister always swaps to indoor training during the worst of the Scottish winter but there is something about it that just doesn;t appeal to me. not really sure why exactly. maybe i just like the idea of the scenery changing when i run.

do other people sswap between indoors and outdoors?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I do both tready and outdoor runs on a regular basis...yesterday did 3m tready in the am and 5.75m outside in the pm.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Yup, I use both pretty much throughout the week. Coupled with an elyptical trainer and rower for non impact variety.

That said I am focussing on weight loss before running ability.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts