Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that the lowest female vet category is V35 and V40 for men? It's my 35th birthday next week and the prospect of being listed in the veteran category is making me feel old!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is this right (that it has been standardised)?
Makes sense as most of the calculators assume performance dips after 35 for men.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think Gumps is right about the standardisation.

I'm a supervet and I quite like it - it makes me feel not quite so rubbish at running.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Federation, previously known as the British Veterans Athletic Federation, was formed in 1975 to encourage, organise, regulate, and administer athletics for women of not less than 35 years of age and men not less than 40 years of age. However since August 2005 the ages have been equalised, so the starting age for men is now also 35.

http://www.bvaf.org.uk/

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
msfenetre said:
Why is it that the lowest female vet category is V35 and V40 for men? It's my 35th birthday next week and the prospect of being listed in the veteran category is making me feel old!!!
Don't knock it... it now means that you are competing with a smaller age range for an age cat prize! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first time on this site, so be gentle with me:) A few familier names though!

I know in my county they are now recognising the change in male vet age. It's also good to see they've decided to award in 5 year age groups rather than 10.

·
Registered
67 Posts
TC - there are more categories in IM and some 'big' tri events, whereas lots just have senior, vet (40-49), sv (50-59) and vintage. As I'm near the top end of a category I'd rather they split them all in two!

·
Registered
105 Posts
as a v50 male i am very pleased to see an increase in age related prizes, with vets teams being rewarded in far more races than 10 years ago. we will include one in our race, the Long Eaton 5 miler on June 11th, for the first time this year.

i suspect runners are the only people to look forward to getting older, as your chance of a prize increases rapidly.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bloody hell.I`ve been a vet for 10 years !!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
veteran

dont
worry abaut age if you run you scould worry abaut your time PERHAPS.i find my self at the age51 in a cross race in italian championscip and after 38 years of races aroud the world my best race 15th italian national ranking well you see age is not real important ciao ciao from joseph

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I have been into the link and it's far too complicated and time consuming for me!
I just want a simple banded age graded scoring system to read and take points from rather than have to calculate everyone's inividual points.
I hoped someone might be involved in a club that has a system I could crib from.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts