Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I have to pull out of the MDS for 2009, I was running for Meningitis Research Foundation. Because it is a charity place they have until April to fill the spot with another runner. If anyone would like to take up this place please say so.

The cost is the same as it would have been if you had been awarded the position in the first place except for half the deposit which was paid by the charity.

The charity offers to pay some of your cost if you can raise money for them, the contributions are:

• Raise £1,500 and they could pay £650 towards your trip,
• Raise £2,000 and they could pay £900 towards your trip,
• Raise £3,000 and they could pay £1,300 towards your trip,
• Raise £4,000 and they could pay £1,750 towards your trip,
• Raise £5,000 and they could pay the outstanding balance of your entry (excluding deposit).

Let me know if you want to take the place, this is great opportunity. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Argh, I've seen the waiting list for that event, this IS a good opportunituy...

Just impossible for me for this situation :(

Have fun whoever ends up going!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Bah :p

I'm jealous! That's 150 miles of slogging up and down sand dunes in 50 degree heat that "I" wanted to do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that the charity has been offered a place for 2010 as well if anyone wants to raise money for them...;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Katten said:
Bah :p

I'm jealous! That's 150 miles of slogging up and down sand dunes in 50 degree heat that "I" wanted to do!
Well fear not the Augrabies Extreme Marathon in South Africa is the same format and there is no waiting list. Check out www.extrememarathons.com

Bet you didn't want to read that:d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It would probably be less painful to get a normal T-shirt and attach an actual leopard to the back of it...:eek:

Hmm, this is actually very tempting... Have you done this event, Ed? What's it like, how hard is it to run in the heat and so on?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes I did the event in 2007 and loved every minute of it. It was tough, but it is an event that anyone who is reasonably fit can attempt. It is more about mental strength and how you cope with adversity.

The Augrabies Extreme marathon currently has a very small number of entrants. In 2007 there were 33. Four dropped out on the first day because of the heat; 45C with a little bit of humidity but it was survivable if you took short rests, drank a lot and took salt and food on board. It stayed very hot for a few days and more dropped out - only 20 finished. One of those was me I am glad to say.

The scenery was fantstic, have a look at some of the photos on www.extrememarathons.com. At times we were running amongst giraffe, springbok, zebras and ostrich. The medical back-up and the crew were fantastic.

Although I suffered from the heat to start with, then got bitten on the foot by a spider which cause swelling and blistered foot so it was a struggle to keep going I have been grinning every day since I finished in October.

It is a big challenge but very doable and so, so worth the effort. I will definitely be back to do it again. I wear my finishers t-shrt at every opportunity because I loved it so much and feel very proud that I finished.

Give it a go - you will not be disappointed.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I quite fancy doing something stupid and yet great like the MDS or similar. To be able to say you have done such an event must surely be a talking point down the pub.

Just how much training is involved in getting ready for such an event?

Squint

1 - 11 of 11 Posts