Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an entry for the London Marathon in April and have been training with a friend who got injured around a month a go. Since then my training really slowed down and I'm finding it had to get out running on my own. I'm not sure if I should settle for doing a half marathon, I've only managed 16 miles at most so far...

Am I being a wimp? :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The marathon is in April so you have plenty of time left to build up those miles. See if you can join a running club in your area, they'll be a few of people training for the FLM as well I would expect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
16 miles!

That's not to be sniffed at. I agree that motivating yourself to go running on your own is difficult. But try to see this as a positive. You can now focus and running on the pace that's correct for you. Try to think of the great sense of pride you'll have completing your first marathon....It really is awesome. When I'm running I like to day dream about finishing the next event I have planned. It really puts a stride in my step. If I'm feeling lazy then I think about how much eaiser the event will be if I do the correct training. I've not run London but I've supported a few times. Trust me it looks well worth the effort!

·
Registered
58 Posts
16 miles already? well done and keep up with it. Do think about joining a club - most clubs have lots of members who run because they like it and not because they are especially good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with the others, 16 miles is a good distance already. Most people I know who are doing London aren't quite at that level yet so your doing well.

As ther others say join a club or find others to train with. It's probably going to be the easiest marathon to train for as there are so many others doing it and having to train at the same time as you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
16 is plenty.
how about getting someone to drop you off away from home for long runs? then you have to keep going to get back for tea & a biscuit :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm doing London and I'm only up to 14 miles - and there's no way I'm backing off now! I'm running London, full stop. So the choice is to either do the training and be as comfortable (prob wrong choice of word...) as possible on the day, or not do the training and die on my feet. I know which I prefer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with all these esteemed folk. 16 miles is plenty at this stage. Lots of people finish marathons with only one or two runs at that distance. You've got plenty of time for a few more.

Could you join a club?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to use "get dropped off at a set distance from home" method which is good. Just take some money and pop into petrol stations for drinks. I also discovered some places and routes I'd never been to by just running in a certain direction and seeing where it took me!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the encouragement!

made me feel much better to know I am on track, i'm going to a running club for the first time tomorrow! :embarrassed: :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts