Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started running around 5 years back, after not having done any sport for 25 years.
I just started to run, without a coach and pushed myself. Today I am comfortable to run 21K in 2.5 hrs. I am 46 years old, tall with over 100KG.
Pending what time allows, I am running between 20K to 50K/week; some of it on the treadmill.
Aiming for a full marathon, but I am not progressing with my training. It almost seems like 21K is my limit, almost like being blocked? Not even making the 22K...

Does anyone have experienced similar, any advice?
Thanks!

·
4,207 Posts
I find the trouble is you get comfortable with doing the same thing over and over, it works for a while then you stagnate. Work out what time you have available to train and find a plan that fits in with that (Pfitzinger, Daniels, HIgdon etc.). Training for a marathon is a big commitment, you can complete a marathon on a little training, but it will feel awful. If you want to complete a marathon and feel good, do the training the right way and be honest with yourself. Training with others is a big help, as is having a good coach. Have you thought about joining a club?
I ran my first marathon in 3:41:30 ish with very unstructured training and no coach or running partners. I then joined a club and got a coach and was running sub 2:50:00

·
Registered
24 Posts
I started running around 5 years back, after not having done any sport for 25 years.
I just started to run, without a coach and pushed myself. Today I am comfortable to run 21K in 2.5 hrs. I am 46 years old, tall with over 100KG.
Pending what time allows, I am running between 20K to 50K/week; some of it on the treadmill.
Aiming for a full marathon, but I am not progressing with my training. It almost seems like 21K is my limit, almost like being blocked? Not even making the 22K...

Does anyone have experienced similar, any advice?
Thanks!
When you go out are you running the same route over and over again ?

If so, it could be that you`ve become " mentally " tuned into running that route and this is blocking your progress.

If you follow a training plan ( time allowing ) you shouldn`t have this problem, as you`ll be doing something different every time you go out and you`ll also be training appropriately for your ultimate distance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts