Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

My gym has launched a "challenge" to run a marathon on a treadmill in a month and the gym staff then monitor progress. As I didn't think this was very challenging I thought I would do it in one go so have taken Friday off work and have "reserved" my favourite treadmill. Should be fun, has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cheryl said:

My gym has launched a "challenge" to run a marathon on a treadmill in a month and the gym staff then monitor progress. As I didn't think this was very challenging I thought I would do it in one go so have taken Friday off work and have "reserved" my favourite treadmill. Should be fun, has anyone else done this?
All I can say is :eek:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Cheryl said:

Sounds interesting! I remember hearing about one guy who did a treadie marathon in a giant freezer as preparation for an arctic marathon but I've not heard of many other attempts...

Are you a regular marathoner? Have you trained and tapered? What time are you aiming for? Are you looking to do even splits? What incline and programme are you going to set the treadie up on? Can the gym sort out a webcam so we can all watch? (sorry for all the questions!)

I've never done more than a 10k on a treadmill myself - and I found that tough enough. I hope they sort out some food and drink for you along the way! And I really hope they find some good music to keep you entertained. Also, Friday is looking quite warm so you'll need the air conditioning turned on...

Good luck!

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Cheryl said:

Always good to hear somebody up for a challenge! Best of look Cheryl and don't forget to let us know how you get on. Have you a target time in mind?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cheryl said:

fair play to you. Sounds tough to me though, I always find treadmill running to be hard going (boredom, heat etc....)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the whole atmosphere of being in the gym and regularly spend a couple of hours on the treadmill anyway (14 miles ish) - other members think I'm a bit weird because of this I think!

I'm planning on negative splits on a 0.5/1.0 incline (no point making it more difficult than it needs to be).

As for a finishing time I would hazard a guess at 4 hours 15.

Good music is definitely the key - my Ipod will be on serious charge the night before!

I've been training for my first "proper" marathon in September (New Forest) and have done 10K's/10 miles/halfs previously and yes, I will be taking it easy this week. Bit of ski machine and light weights.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cheryl said:

This is great :d Good luck Cheryl.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:d Well it's now a couple of hours since completing my "treadmill marathon" and I'm finding it increasingly hard to get up and down the stairs!

I completed it in around 4 hours 15 minutes - I'm a bit vague because I stopped at around 18 miles to change my socks and when I got back on the stinking treadmill it had reverted back to zero! So it was around the 4 hours 15 mark.

I know this was probably mentally a lot harder than completing a "proper" marathon but my word I wasn't prepared for how hard it got between 18 and 26. The gym staff were great, supplying me with drinks and supporting me any way they could. It really helped, you can only "people watch" for a certain amount of time.

Waiting to hear what my prize is now - better not be a gym tee-shirt or such like. I will not be amused!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts