Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am training for the Brighton Marathon at the moment. Before Christmas I got Achilles Tendonitis which is affecting my ankle. It is really mild and only causes discomfort when I walk down stairs. My ankle is stiff when I run but I can run. I took two weeks off running over Christmas as per my physio's advice and have been slowly returning to running in the last week. I am nervous as I still have a niggle in my ankle and don't want to make it worse. However, I have read that some people consider returning to running as part of the healing process. It's my first marathon so don't want to under train for it but equally don't want to cause myself permanent damage...
Any advice?!!!
THANK YOU

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
On the assumption the diagnosis is correct your Achilles tendon has been stressed too much and has caused damage to the tissue-which was painful.

The Achilles tendon will heal but it will only heal to meet the demands placed upon it.

You have to go through the pain too strengthen it to the demands of marathon running.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had this problem on and off for 30 years, although it rarely flairs up now. Drop the miles, you are doing, stretch it a lot and ice will help. Also you can get a ultrasound machine fairly cheap these days so consider one of those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My experience is that it's mostly related to the calf. My physio had me doing both straight and bent knee calf raises three times a day. It's certainly kept mine at bay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts