Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 11 days to go to Number 3 and HOW to run it has been bothering me for some time already.

"Scientific" studies will tell us that the best way to run a marathon is by negative-splitting within a one or two percent margin. So, running the second half of the marathon 1% / 2% faster than the first.

In my two marathons I have positive-splitted big time.
1h28m + 2h08m!!!! :embarrassed: and 1h29m + 1h34m

I am in (endurance wise) very good shape. Lisbon has a very topographycally favourable course but is prone to windy mornings, empty Sunday morning streets and most of the course is along loooong straights.

My goal is to go under 3 hours.

The question is:

Should I aim for a 1h29m/1h29m?

Someone suggested the way for me to do it would be a very easy 1h31m/1h35m "warm-up" and then racing a half-marathon for sub 1h24m.

What about building a cushion running something like 1h24m/1h26m + whatever the legs will allow?

HELP! :eek:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Definitely positive splits in my experience. In my quickest marathon (2.53.04) through the flat streets of London I just got slower as the race went on. The main thing is not to overcook it in the first few miles. A marathon is an exercise in self-discipline. Regardless of what the rest of the field is doing you've got to control your own pace and run to your optimum performance. Don't, whatever you do, get carried away by the speed merchants up front at the outset of the race. That's a mistake I made in earlier attempts, and I suffered in the latter stages.
For what it's worth I did splits of 82.35/90.29. Like you said, I gave myself a cushion at the beginning because I knew, at my time of life, I'd be naturally slowing down as the race unfolded. In fact I was slowing down by a minutes every five miles. First five was 30.57, second was 31.37, third was 32.09, fourth was 33.36 and then 36.18 through twenty five miles. It worked for me. I got it about right and finished healthily exhausted but not distressed.
Good Luck Fulmar. You sound to be in very good shape and I've every confidence you'll go sub-three hours.
Cheers!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Fulmar,

A difficult one for sure - negative splits sounds great on paper but I suspect in reality it's virtually impossible to do in a marathon compared to shorter distances.

As for RF's 82.35/90.29, I think 95% of people would spectacularly fail using this tactic (running so close to your 1/2m best in the first half!), but the man is obviously made of granite!

I think you should use part of your previous tactics & part bank time, maybe going through in 1:26 and then trusting your training to keep you in the one twenties for the second half.

I haven't run a marathon yet though, so please take my comments as just that, comments!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Fulmar

I haven't managed a negative split yet, and I try every race :mad: Like RunningFox I need to learn to ignore the darned racing snakes

I don't like the idea of having to make up time in the second half. I'd be tempted to do what LazyJones suggests and go for a first half slower than your 1/2 PB but a bit faster than 1:29, that way you have a couple of minutes to either build on or use up. Which parts were hardest in your previous two marathons? Maybe aim to have some "spare" time around these bits?

Your times suggest you are on course to break 3 hours fairly comfortably. You're in great shape and you've trained hard. Whatever happens, it will be a good race :cool:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm :confused:

Thank you very much for the replies. It's good to have your opinions and views on the subject.

Katten - I had overtrained in my first one and wasn't ready at all, having done 1h28m for the first half, at a constant pace and feeling already tired at 9K.
But in the second I felt the problems start right on the famous wall, bang on mile 20 ( I had just passed the 32km marker).
I didn't "die" but slowed down considerably, losing some 30 seconds per km.

I am inclined to run the suggested 1h26m (more or less) if the weather is good and then see what happens.

11 days... brrrr :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Same from me Fulmar, best of luck - I'm sure with your previous experiences, your recent 1/2m & related training, you'll do great!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Grant!

(by the way, if I can get some time off work I will go to Scotland in late December/January, it would be great to meet you. Anyone else from Scotland here?)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha yes :d
Even though I thought at half-way that I would go over 1h30m for the second half.
But it all went well :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts