Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to get into the 2009 London Marathon so I am going to register for the 2009 Edinburgh Marathon instead. Now I've never run a marathon before and was just having a look at the website and noticed that they had listed at which miles they had water or energy stations? This had never even crossed my mind so if anyone who has run a marathon before and come across these stations, could you tell me what to expect there and whether I should be looking to grab something at every station or should it just depend on how I feel?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I ran the Edinburgh marathon this year and the water stations are what they say, points on the course where you can grab some water. I ran with my own water bottles which I put High5 energy powder in to and drank that during the race, I used the water stations to topup my water bottles and/or cool myself down.
The energy stations this year were sponsored by Lucozade and you could pick up Lucozade from them, I think they also had some energy gels, I couldnt tell you to be exact because I didnt use them as I had my own energy source with me.

If you havent trained with Lucozade stuff then I would be inclined to miss them out, don't use something I arent used to, especially when your running a marathon.
If you train with a certain brand then stick with that as you will know how your body reacts to it. I made this mistake during the Dunfermline Half Marathon and I honestly thought I was going to die! The pain that struck my chest was amazing! Wouldnt want to do that again.

I used all the water stops but didnt use the energy stops. Its down to how you feel and what you feel you need.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
it'd be worth you having a look into marathon/race nutrition and hydration so you can get a good understanding of what role each plays in terms of how you perform during the race. I can't comment much further as I've never ran or trained for a marathon; for what it's worth though I personally don't bother with any food/drink during a half marathon, but would definately be taking on carbs (in drink, gel or solid form) and water well before the half-way point in a marathon.

Best of luck with the training :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
The recommended approach is not to consume anything on the race day that you haven’t tried before – so it may be worthwhile trying to contact the organisers to find out what will be available. I would definitely take on some fluids at every station – and if you haven’t done it before, have a practice at drinking on the run before you do the marathon, (and if you find a technique that works – please let me know, I always end up spilling at least half of it).

I went with great intentions of being sensible but I managed to consume a banana, several slices of lemon, loads of biscuits, a few energy gels a ham sandwich, a slice of pizza, several sachets of sugar, some chocolate, loads of water and energy drinks, tea, coffee, and some kind of salty drink of unknown origin…:happy:

I’m probably one of the few people to finish a marathon weighing more than I did at the start.:):p

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
m4tty... the thing is, you'll need to hydrate during longer distances. To a certain extent it's quite an individual thing, so you need to find out what works best for you

When you get to the longer training runs you'll need to take water or sports drink with you either in a bottle belt, hydration back pack or a fist bottle. I find fist bottles the most convenient and are very easy to carry.

But you need to experiment so you could start by taking fluid out on shorter runs just to get the feel of it.

You should also consider getting a couple of half marathons in before the marathon so you have the experience of drinking in race situations

You can either rely on the drink stations at the race or take your own. I always take my own because it means I can just run through the drink stations without stopping, so I don't lose any time.

A few things for you to consider... :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I would recommend drinking water at each station, even if its only a couple of mouthfuls.

You'll definatley need to take some energy gels/bars with you - I had four gels with me and had a munchie attack about 35km in.

As Slowsteve said, don't try any energy product in the race that you haven't used in training. Try a couple of products, including what's on offer at the race, and pick the one that suits you best.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Definitely don't try anything new on the day, Try different things throughout your training:-

energy gels/ camel back of water works for me, but you're obviously carrying the extra weight as a result.

Water stations are a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion as people will definately cut across you putting you at risk of being tripped up or at best breaking your rythm, something you can do without, particularly in the latter stages.
It's most important to hydrate in the first half of the marathon and not to wait until your thirsty as you will be in trouble.:eek:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I was so slow, that the water stations weren't too busy in tha later stages of the race. The main thing is to slow down as you go through the station and watch out for other runners.

Hotfoot - I don't know how you can carry a camel back in a marathon!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I was so slow, that the water stations weren't too busy in tha later stages of the race. The main thing is to slow down as you go through the station and watch out for other runners.

Hotfoot - I don't know how you can carry a camel back in a marathon!

It was something that I had to try-I had enough of the chaos at water stations. It does get lighter as the run goes on!!:d and it helped me get my P.B.:d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I have a CB but I find it jumps around on my back too much so I ended up getting a water belt which holds two water bottles and it has space for gels.

I like carrying my own water during 1/2 and the full marathon because 9 time out of 10 you need a drink miles before a water station!
I found the best way to drink water on the run is to pour some of the water out of the bottle first, either use it to cool yourself down or pour it on your hands and wash your face, I do this to get rid of the salt on my face from sweating, and then there is space in the bottle for you to drink rather than spill :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I have a camelback flashflo that I bought when I used to do my long runs alone... it holds plenty of water but since my old man comes along with me now, and I tend to drink less while I'm out anyway, he can just carry fluids on his bike which means I can run without carrying anything :)

If anyone fancies a camelback flashflo, I'd be perfectly willing to flog it onto someone for £15 +P&P... (say £18 delivered?)... it cost me £35 + delivery I seem to remember. I'd rather it goto someone who might use it rather than it continue to collect dust in my wardrobe :lol: PM me if anyone's interested ;)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have a CB but I find it jumps around on my back too much so I ended up getting a water belt which holds two water bottles and it has space for gels.

I like carrying my own water during 1/2 and the full marathon because 9 time out of 10 you need a drink miles before a water station!
I found the best way to drink water on the run is to pour some of the water out of the bottle first, either use it to cool yourself down or pour it on your hands and wash your face, I do this to get rid of the salt on my face from sweating, and then there is space in the bottle for you to drink rather than spill :)

O.

Owain, does your CB hace a Sternum strap? If it doesn't, this may be the reason that you have trouble with it jumping around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts