Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just sat together with my friend to "fine tune" our running schedule for the Lisbon Marathon in December. We looked at several books and websites for a running schedule.

I was just wondering, what is the reason for not running the full marathon distance during training? We decided for our longest run to be 35km, as most training plans suggested that. ...but 7 more KM is quite a lot right? Or will it not feel much more during the race?

Thanks!
Jen.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think different people will tell you different things... in training for a first marathon, I think you'll find a long run longer than the actual race distance really will take it out of you more than a 20miler, and s such your training during the following week would suffer.

I've read some half marathon schedules that don't go beyond 12miles for the long run - but personally I find it helps massively to cover more than the 13.1 miles. At the same time though, I won't be expecting to go beyond 22miles or so when I train for my first full marathon.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You've been running for a while, Rich. Have you got any plans to enter a marathon soon? I think I'm gonna enter the FLM ballot next year. Done 2 half marathons so far, got my third next month and plan 2 more before spring next year. My biggest fear is the training schedule either wiping me out or destroying my energy for home life, what with work, family and so on. The temptation to do a full marathon is constantly in the back of my head!:)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I certainly want to do one at some point, but I'm in no rush... I've entered the FLM2009 ballot, if I'm successful I'll run it, if not then I won't be bothered by it. Judging by how my race times drop off in half marathons compared to 10k's, I can see me getting frustrated at not reaching potential at marathon distance...

I've heard endurance tends to improve with age too, and that most blokes run there best marathon somewhere near 40yrs old? Can't remember the exact number, but plenty of time for me yet eh? I'd rather focus on achieving the best I can at shorter distances, then try and maintain that pace for longer periods ;)

Anyways, back on topic - I'm sure I remember Trin posting something months ago in response to a similar question, where she felt practising going beyond the wall was beneficial? (forgive me if that's not the case!)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I would do a 22m run before a marathon and at least 2 other 20milers....unless I'm running with SWMBO....and then we do less for some reason!

I don't think you really benefit from running more than 22/23 miles in training. ( Ultra training excluded)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've done my 20's and my 22 is this Sunday... marathon in 3 weeks :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steve... I've worked out that I've got a major race every two months until L2B :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Way more than me then...Draycote and Bungay and maybe one other....rest will be training efforts.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Some will act more as training I guess...

Hastings and FLM certainly will

1 - 10 of 10 Posts