Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a duplicate post, or if this has been asked before, however, now thinking about when I can start running again and want to stick to a training program for the London Marathon.

I've been given the link to Halhigdon before, which seems to have a number of different schedules in there (I clicked on novice obviously!), however I was speaking to a friend yesterday who tells me there are loads of training plans for marathon running. Is there one which people on here think is far and aware the best one to stick to, or are they all pretty much all the same.

Cheers for your help,
Ian

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I`m sure people have the ones they like to follow Ian.

I havn`t looked at any yet,but I would have thought most of them would be pretty much the same.

If there not I`m sure somebody will tell me......:d

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
In my experience you have to develop one that suits you both in terms of fitness levels and time available to run.

I work on a 2 week rotating programme, the first week is 4 runs covering 25 miles, the second is 5 runs covering 35 miles. the main rules I stick to are follow a hard run with an easier run/rest day keep up the variety i.e speed sessions, long slower runs and fartlet e.t.c.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
They're all quite similar really - but very few are identical, they just tend to have subtle variations between them - there's certainly not a specific one that's better than the rest!

Find a few, have a look and see which one you feel looks good to you in terms of how it fits in with your lifestyle, that it looks of appropriate difficulty, and that it is likely to offer you variation and keep you motivated. See how you get on with it, and if it's not working out you can just switch to another one - it's certainly not a case of "I've started this schedule, so if I change to another I'm not going to get the full benefit from either schedule" - they're all very interchangeable and flexible, of course feel free to ask away on here if you're unsure of what to do in any particular situation, I'm sure the great people of RF will guide you through ;)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
when i followed a half training plan i ended up merging about 3-4 into one and then tweaked it a bit to fit in with my other comitments..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most of the ones I found were similar but had the following generalities

- Don't increase your total weekly mileage by more than 10% each week
- Don't increase your long run by more than 10% each week
- Try and get a longest run of somewhere between 18 to 22 miles (most at least 20)
- Make sure you get three to four weeks of taper in
- Try one session of cross-training in (swimming, cycling etc)

But don't become a slave to any schedule. Do what you feel able to do, and don't push yourself to get in an extra couple of miles when your body doesn't want to - just save yourself for the next run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts