Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a lot more use of the americanism 'masters' these days over 'veterans'. I'm not keen on being old :p but think veterans is a much clearer definition of the category.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i agree with you. master implies being an expert whereas we are just older and in my case not wiser. master smacks of superiority and smugness. i prefer the term that we tend to use amongst our local vet community of "old git."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Masters/vets

It brings us in line with other sports. The general public's view the term 'vets' is of OAPs in retirement homes. I agree with the idea of broadcasting the notion we are not past it. Any BBC TV coverage of 'vets' events consists of a 90 yr old doing the hurdles and coming a cropper somewhere during the race. It's partly a matter of gaining respect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm veteran or not veteran

Not sure, but it looks as though you only have to be over 35 to be classed as Veteran (female).. could that be true? Anyway, I am but a mere Beginner (false beginner admittedly - I do seem to have lost 20 years of training along the way...)

and yet, at 40, I'm a Veteran to boot....
but alas its good to still be a Junior on the Runners forum ...
;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
chrisity said:
i agree with you. master implies being an expert whereas we are just older and in my case not wiser. master smacks of superiority and smugness. i prefer the term that we tend to use amongst our local vet community of "old git."
Having read through some of my recent posts without the aid of a bottle of wine, I realise that I have turned into Victor Meldrew :(

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
scr8pe said:
Having read through some of my recent posts without the aid of a bottle of wine, I realise that I have turned into Victor Meldrew :(
Surely you're not that bad are you Scr8pe:d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Maybe they use Masters in the US, rather than veterans, because vets has a military connotation in the US. If they advertised vet races in the US, people might assume that it was only for old, crazy eyed vietnam veterans still living the Vietnam war.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Both are odd terms; "master" implies we have mastered running :huh: "veteran" suggests we lived through some traumatic race or other and survived :eek: Neither fits for someone who just happens to be >35 when they take up running

But then, can anyone think of a term which means "kind of old" but does not sound horrible?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I think in my case it should be 'Maturely Handicaped'. Running should be like golf and a reasonable hanicap system should be put in place. Every year over 35 you get a bit of a head start!

·
Registered
120 Posts
There seems to be a lot more use of the americanism 'masters' these days over 'veterans'. I'm not keen on being old :p but think veterans is a much clearer definition of the category.
I agree with you.The push to change from the original European/Southern hemisphere VETERAN label to the American MASTER label came mainly from two sources.
First,the younger veteran ranks,particularly poser sprinter types who disliked the veteran connotation,and secondly some vested "marketing" types with financial vested interests in a name change.Money talks as always.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
kinda related... i noticed in Athletics weekly that the IAAF have raised the age for masters at non stadium events from 35 to 40

their reasoning was something to do with the number of elites aged 35+

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
kinda related... i noticed in Athletics weekly that the IAAF have raised the age for masters at non stadium events from 35 to 40

their reasoning was something to do with the number of elites aged 35+
Pleased to hear that. 35 is far too young to be considered a Masters/vet (being a 35 year old myself), considering 35 year olds can still win many races outright and break records on the roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coming from a swimming background, we never had vets until we had masters swimming, so masters it is.

There is no connotation of skill (there wouldn't be if you saw us) just 'over 25'.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If I ran a local 10k in 35 minutes or thereabouts and got the prize for first male 40+ then they can call me anything they want as long as it begins with 'fastest' or 'winner'. :cool:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If I ran a local 10k in 35 minutes or thereabouts and got the prize for first male 40+ then they can call me anything they want as long as it begins with 'fastest' or 'winner'. :cool:
I know a couple of Vets in the 45 + category that run 10k in 32/33 minutes, so that's the kind of time you need to be hitting to get a V40 winner's spot ;)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I prefer the term 'Vets' or 'Veterans'. Probably because rugby teams that are over 35 yrs old are called 'Vets' teams.

We play Derby Vets every now and then at rugby. People look at me blankly then say, I didn't know there would be that many in Derby. They think we're playing Derby Veterinarians :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts