Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start off with two full bottles of wine, one red and one white.

You drink 1/3 of the bottle of red and then refill with the same amount of water. You then drink 1/4 of the bottle.

You drink 1/4 of the bottle of white and then refill with water, you then drink 1/3 of the bottle.

Which has more wine remaining?

It's not a trick so no clever clogs answers such as 'do you mix up the water and wine?' or 'some water may seep to the bottom' etc.!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
It's a bit early in the morning but i will go with both the same (1/2 bottle).
I will check my calculations later :-0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can it be 1/2? If the first time 1/3 wine was drunk, that leaves 2/3 wine. 1/4 is less than 1/3 so the second time you're drinking 1/4 which surely is only water?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
Is Jesus performing the mixing? If so, I'm going to go with 100% wine in each bottle at the end.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
+1

Assuming the wine and water mix and are consumed in proportional amounts, i.e.

Red bottle consume 33.3% leaving 66.7%, then drink further 25% so 66.7% x 75% = 50%

White bottle consume 25% leaving 75%, then drink further 33.3% so 75% x 66.7% = 50%

:s
That was my thinking but I used fractions (2/3 X 3/4 and 3/4 X 2/3) both = 6/12 or 1/2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
+1

Assuming the wine and water mix and are consumed in proportional amounts, i.e.

Red bottle consume 33.3% leaving 66.7%, then drink further 25% so 66.7% x 75% = 50%

White bottle consume 25% leaving 75%, then drink further 33.3% so 75% x 66.7% = 50%

:s
My original post said that it's not a trick so assume that they don't mix , so why are you assuming they mix?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
My original post said 'assume that the water and wine don't mix', so why are you assuming they mix?
no you didn't !

Start off with two full bottles of wine, one red and one white.

You drink 1/3 of the bottle of red and then refill with the same amount of water. You then drink 1/4 of the bottle.

You drink 1/4 of the bottle of white and then refill with water, you then drink 1/3 of the bottle.

Which has more wine remaining?

It's not a trick so no clever clogs answers such as 'do you mix up the water and wine?' or 'some water may seep to the bottom' etc.!
see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
Which is why I quickly edited as I realised that I didn't say it exactly like that. My last paragraph alluded to the fact that they don't mix.
So we made the mistake of assuming normal fluid dynamics and brownian motion occured... how silly do we feel :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So we made the mistake of assuming normal fluid dynamics and brownian motion occured... how silly do we feel :p
You both get a really big gold star. Well done.

Now. Assuming that they don't mix (probably should have used bricks as an example to avoid pedantic clever clogs' answers), how much left in each?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
In that case, white has more wine.

Red: 100% - Drink 33.33...%, leaves 66.66...% wine. Fill with water and drink 25% of the bottle (drinking all water, as they have not mixed). Leaving 66.66...% wine and 8ish% water.

White: 100% - Drink 25%, leaves 75% wine. Fill with water and drink 33% of the bottle (drinking all the water and some wine). Leaving 0% water and 67% wine.

100 - 33.33... = 66.66...
100 - 25 = 75 - 8 = 67
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In that case, white has more wine.

Red: 100% - Drink 33.33...%, leaves 66.66...% wine. Fill with water and drink 25% of the bottle (drinking all water, as they have not mixed). Leaving 66.66...% wine and 8ish% water.

White: 100% - Drink 25%, leaves 75% wine. Fill with water and drink 33% of the bottle (drinking all the water and some wine). Leaving 0% water and 67% wine.

100 - 33.33... = 66.66...
100 - 25 = 75 - 8 = 67

Guess I'm bad at explaining questions. It needs to be in fractions, which is why I used fractions and not % in the question.

This just proves how important it is to explain yourself!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
My original post said that it's not a trick so assume that they don't mix , so why are you assuming they mix?
So we assume that the water sits on top of the wine in the way that oil does on water? What about when you tilt the bottle and drink which liquid comes out first, do they mix and if so in what ratio?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
You both get a really big gold star. Well done.

Now. Assuming that they don't mix (probably should have used bricks as an example to avoid pedantic clever clogs' answers), how much left in each?
O/k with the new info I will go with 2/3 (66.7%) of each so still equal. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So we assume that the water sits on top of the wine in the way that oil does on water? What about when you tilt the bottle and drink which liquid comes out first, do they mix and if so in what ratio?
Oh.My.God. It is not a science a question. I apologise for not being 100% clear and catering to every different type of pedant in existence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with Steve but I think the 'problem' has flaws.

Also percentages = fractions = percentages :rolleyes:
The problem is designed to think about addition and subtraction of fractions, whilst thinking logically. I'm not a teacher so not used to expressing it in a way to avoid pedants like you. However, my original post did mention the water wouldn't seep to the bottom.

Agree with the second point Tho, the poster who used %age's rounded which led to the wrong answer.

Bored with this now.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top