Runners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The problem is designed to think about addition and subtraction of fractions, whilst thinking logically. I'm not a teacher so not used to expressing it in a way to avoid pedants like you. However, my original post did mention the water wouldn't seep to the bottom.

Agree with the second point Tho, the poster who used %age's rounded which led to the wrong answer.

Bored with this now.
it's your problem .. you're not allowed to be bored with it ;)

filling the bottles back up i.e. to 1.0 every time means you just need to know 1/3 > 1/4 to get a solution... so the only subtraction is 1 - 1/3 = 2/3 ?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

filling the bottles back up i.e. to 1.0 every time means you just need to know 1/3 > 1/4 to get a solution... so the only subtraction is 1 - 1/3 = 2/3 ?
Yes. Where on earth did I imply it was phd level maths?

It's something that a teacher asked me
And I was just looking to find out if what I told them was correct.

Christ, people make such a fuss about stuff.

·
4,264 Posts

I probably shouldn't post the three pancake problem now:lol:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yes. Where on earth did I imply it was phd level maths?

It's something that a teacher asked me
And I was just looking to find out if what I told them was correct.

Christ, people make such a fuss about stuff.
But you're filling the bottles back up with water and the question asks which has the most wine at the end.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Goat

You posted a teaser and invited anyone/everyone to respond. People have replied, demonstrated some basic maths, logical/lateral thinking and discussed how the problem is worded.

As far as I can tell the only one making a fuss is you. You posted a teaser on an internet forum, what did you expect?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Goat, I have a feeling that somewhere something has been lost in translation in this problem making its way to you. I'm pretty sure the original problem would have had the wine and water mixing - that way it's a simple test of multiplying the right fractions to see if your initial guess is true - otherwise it's just a very odd way of asking if 1/3 > 1/4.

We should do the Monty Hall problem, that one is always a riot :d

·
4,264 Posts
Goat, I have a feeling that somewhere something has been lost in translation in this problem making its way to you. I'm pretty sure the original problem would have had the wine and water mixing - that way it's a simple test of multiplying the right fractions to see if your initial guess is true - otherwise it's just a very odd way of asking if 1/3 > 1/4.

:lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

no. it hurt my brain enough the first time around.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Start off with two full bottles of wine, one red and one white.

You drink 1/3 of the bottle of red and then refill with the same amount of water. You then drink 1/4 of the bottle.

You drink 1/4 of the bottle of white and then refill with water, you then drink 1/3 of the bottle.

Which has more wine remaining?

It's not a trick so no clever clogs answers such as 'do you mix up the water and wine?' or 'some water may seep to the bottom' etc.!
Ok, so you have already said that the water and alchohol do not mix.

Also alchohol is less dense than water.

Red bottle:-

1/1 becomes 8/12, you fill up 4/12 with water(falls to bottom), then drink 3/12.

Alchohol remaining 5/12.

White bottle:-

1/1 becomes 9/12, fill up 3/12 with water(falls to bottom), then drink 4/12.

Alchohol remaining 5/12

Answer Neither bottle has more wine remaining.

Sorted. If you want to be pedantic and say it is heavier, then same answer applies other way round.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Ok, so you have already said that the water and alchohol do not mix.

Also alchohol is less dense than water.

Red bottle:-

1/1 becomes 8/12, you fill up 4/12 with water(falls to bottom), then drink 3/12.

Alchohol remaining 5/12.

White bottle:-

1/1 becomes 9/12, fill up 3/12 with water(falls to bottom), then drink 4/12.

Alchohol remaining 5/12

Answer Neither bottle has more wine remaining.

Sorted. If you want to be pedantic and say it is heavier, then same answer applies other way round.
The answer is 2/3 bottle of wine in each.

"falls to bottom" - have you not established from the previous posts that we are assuming that it doesn't fall to the bottom.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts