Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't have a Garmin and looking to see exactly how many metres you are doing:

• Download Google earth and install it
  • Select tools from the top menu and choose Path
  • Move the cross-hair icon to the start and click on your path you will get exactly how
    many metres you are doing
As for me i just found out that i am running 13 laps * 0.430 metres in 30 min :eek: and taking it easy obviously

Cheers

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You can do this using google maps uk too.

Navigate to the area you've been running in, Click the My Maps button on the left, then the Distance Measurement Tool. Then click each point on the map and it'll add it all up.

You can change the measurement unit even after you've set the points, and you can drag a point to change it's position.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
mapmyrun is indeed one of my preferred tools as well (if I'm planning a route in advance). The only thing is though, you have to bare in mind that the "satellite photo's" are photo's taken from a plane/helicopter, not a satellite and so when you're trying to be incredibly accurate (like measuring metres), it can be a little innaccurate - mind you it's usually it's spot on!

I assume everyone is aware of the ability to look at plan view (birds eye view) photo's in addition to the normal map layout - and if you didn't, you do now! ;)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
At first glance, mapmyrun seems to have lots more functionality than walkjogrun, so I'd be tempted to switch over, but what's with its postcode positioning? It obviously uses Google maps, but putting my postcode in takes me to about 2 miles outside my village, which has never happened to me with any other Google maps-based site. Has it just taken against me, or is it using only part of the postcode to find the place? Does anyone else have this problem with it?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
just a glitch in the system I guess! have you tried doing it by road name rather than postcode? see if that makes any difference :)
That doesn't work at all - as far as the site is concerned, the only place it's ever heard of with the same name as my village is a town in the US.

It's hardly a disaster, but I think it would quickly start to irritate me that I can't just go straight to my home, without dragging the map around. I think I'll stick to walkjogrun for now - it does everything I really need it to do and at least it's heard of where I live :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I use map-my-run, and the same thing happens when I key in the post code... nearly 2 miles out! But it only takes a couple of seconds to navigate back to where I need to be. The advantage that this system has over the ordinary Google Earth site is the fact that as you plot your route, each mile marker is shown on the map, and the map automatically scrolls ahead of you as you approach the edge of the screen. Doddle. :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
dimple said:
I must try these websites, at the mo I do my run then clock it in the car.
Oh dear! I'll hide this thread from Mrs Scr8pe, she'd be able to feed off that for weeks. Shes even found a way of recycling egg shells!

·
Registered
835 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
...........I think I'll stick to walkjogrun for now - it does everything I really need it to do and at least it's heard of where I live :)
I've not come across this one to date. I like the timing checks and the ability to change your pace. It's a pity it doesn't self centralise (er spelling!) and it doesn't follow roads like mapmyrun.

A combination of the two sites would be the perfect alternative to satellite watches

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've used mapmyrun but it measured my usual easy road route at about 1/4 of a mile shorter than it read on my Garmin ... not too sure that its terribly accurate to be honest! :(

·
Registered
835 Posts
SarahE said:
I've used mapmyrun but it measured my usual easy road route at about 1/4 of a mile shorter than it read on my Garmin ... not too sure that its terribly accurate to be honest! :(
I'd trust mapmyrun over a garmin any day!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I wasn't sure about the accuracy of Google-related measurements, so I found the nearest running track on the map, and measured a lap of that on the inside lane. 400m spot on.
Accurate enough for me.
There does seem to be something of a grey area with regard to how, or if, Google takes into account the amount of climbing and descending that may be involved in a measurement. To all intents and purposes, the Google measurements appear to be done on a flat surface; as it appears on the computer screen. If the elevation isn't considered, then I think that a hilly run will actually be longer than the distance registered. I'm not certain if anyone has come up with a definitive answer to that question (though I may be wrong... But if they have, I've not come across it).

I suppose it's possible to compare two measurements as they appear on the screen, with one being a straight line on a known flat road; the other being a straight line on an incline. Measure a mile (or whatever) on each surface and compare the actual lengths of the lines as they are represented on the screen. If elevation is taken into account, then the inclined measurement should be shorter on the screen.

Maybe I'm wrong. It's a bit early for this kind of stuff, anyway!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
With Garmin data, if you're unsure about it's accuracy, export the data into google earth and it'll show your route as tracked by your garmin - you'd be surprised how distances can vary when you start taking into account things like which way round the roundabout you ran, which side of the road you were on etc... may sounds trivial but it all adds up!

There's also a feature on the Garmin that should tell you to what accuracy it can pinpoint you based on satellite strength... mine got me to within 33ft whilst in the bedroom last night - which I'd say isn't too bas considering I was inside - I'm yet to look at it while running though!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I remember a thread quite a while ago where I'm sure we looked into the various measurement methods and looked at whether they include elevation or not...

thread is at http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/general/1661-measurement.html?highlight=Google+Earth

To quote myself :d
richardsimkiss said:
A quick search says that they don't consider elevation in their distance measurement... How much it affects your run I guess depends on the duration and incline of hills on your route...

for example a slope measured at 1km as the crow flies with a 15% gradient (which would be quite a hill!) would measure on google maps as 1km, or 1000m... though in reality it would measure about 1107m for the runner.

I think for the majority of my runs it wouldn't make much difference to the total mileage, but for those who do very hilly runs it may!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts