Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use a Satnav watch which clocks your distance, avg speed, calories burnt etc. Garmin models are very popular.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I measure all my runs with a surveyor's wheel, you can buy one off e bay for very little money £15 and it is the most accurate.

Paul

runinthesun

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got a gps that I use for walking and cycling. So far I've walked the route with the gps (after plotting it on memory-map to get a rough idea of the length).

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks for the link to mapmyrun.com

beats my old paper diary any day!

the only shame is the routes that I have been running for years are all a bit shorter than I had them from measuring off the OS map which means I am even slower than I thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Measuring wheel

paulsun said:
I measure all my runs with a surveyor's wheel
Behind my house there is a park with a concrete track which I think it about 300-600meters? :rolleyes: can't wait to find out, I guess its around 400m

I tend to run on the grass just on the inside.

Wanted to measure it been thinking about getting a surveryors wheel/measuring wheel.

Appreciate any ideas

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
this has been an interesting thread... I thought from the great wall of china thread that everyone was well kitted out with garmins and all sorts ha :) I think mapmyrun might come in useful!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This has been an interesting thread... I thought from the great wall of china thread that everyone must have been wellkitted out with garmins and all sorts heh :) mapmyrun might come in useful in the future!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
is mapmyrun like mapmytri? I use mapmytri as it has the very useful 'follow roads' function, which means it'll automatically follow the line of the roads rather than you having to trace it yourself! Very useful, especially on windy roads ('meandering' roads, not roads succeptable to a gust of wind :p )

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I have tested mapmyrun by measuring my local track, lane 1, and it was exactly 400m.
But I am not sure if, despite the Profile function, it actually takes hills into account.
As the crow flies, A to B is one distance. But A to B can be a lot longer for the runner, depending on the incline...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts