Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have come up before but I don't really want any more medals. What do you do with them all? Give me a tee shirt every time, even if it's not to my taste I'll wear it to cut the car or clean the grass or wash the walls or paint the dishes.

I know there must be problems getting the right numbers and the right sizes but if you state your size when entering and those who enter on the day just take a chance, it can't be that difficult. Can it?

Perhaps we need to get away from tee shirts and medals. How about a nice mug or a pen or....something?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I like medals...especially when they slightly change the design each year.
Tshirts are usually too big for me, they rarely do small sizes, which is strange because most women runners tend to be small, especially when they have been running for a number of years.

However, I have had various other momentoes at the end of races that have made a nice change... coasters, shot glasses, pens, mugs, even a minature whiskey! - (although I no longer have that ;) )

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I like the Whiskey idea Trin............................ thumbs_up.gif

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Make yourself a little display cabinet for all your medals :d

T-shirts are okay... kinda cool but I have too many of those now! One race this year I got a cheap as chips 2008 diary with the race organisers club logo on and race name... what a waste! It's done nothing but sit on teh shelf and it's only a matter of time before it goes in the bin :(

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It's not a problem I've come across yet, not having done any races :rolleyes:

If anyone has any great ideas what to do with a slowly growing collection of Tae Kwon Do belts, though, I'd be glad to hear them.

My best plan so far is to tie them all together for a multi-coloured escape rope in case of fire :p

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I can remember when the only people who got medals were the ones who finished first, second and third.:confused:
Giving everyone a medal just for finishing seems a bit pointless, unless the medals are graded according to finishing times.
Maybe they should start doing it in the Olympics though; then at least our athletes may come home with a respectable haul:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I like getting the medal, not only is it a constant reminder of my achievement I think it is also great when you have completed a race taking pride in wearing it knowing you put everything into the race that you could.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Dave said:
I like the Whiskey idea Trin............................ View attachment 401
You'd like the Frankfurt marathon, they were giving away free beers at the end, along with water and Red Bull.

bagpuddycat said:
It's not a problem I've come across yet, not having done any races :rolleyes:

If anyone has any great ideas what to do with a slowly growing collection of Tae Kwon Do belts, though, I'd be glad to hear them.

My best plan so far is to tie them all together for a multi-coloured escape rope in case of fire :p
You could always get one of those belt racks from martial arts shops, they come with ten slots, so you can display all your belts up to and including 1st kup. My old TKD belts are stashed on the attic.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Grant said:
You'd like the Frankfurt marathon, they were giving away free beers at the end, along with water and Red Bull.

You could always get one of those belt racks from martial arts shops, they come with ten slots, so you can display all your belts up to and including 1st kup. My old TKD belts are stashed on the attic.

At Copenhagen they give away free beer at the finish too... plus the ladies get a red rose :rolleyes:

I haven't heard of those belt racks... that would be good for my youngest son...he's about to get his brown belt in karate so is not far away from the set. At the moment he 'displays' them on his bedroom floor...along with most other things :confused:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Trinity said:
At Copenhagen they give away free beer at the finish too... plus the ladies get a red rose :rolleyes:

I haven't heard of those belt racks... that would be good for my youngest son...he's about to get his brown belt in karate so is not far away from the set. At the moment he 'displays' them on his bedroom floor...along with most other things :confused:
Its been a couple of years since I did Tae Kwon Do, so I've forgotten the names of a lot of the big Martial Arts shops that do mail order etc.

It you buy a copy of Martial Arts Illustrated or google for "martial arts shops", you should be able to find somewhere that sells belt racks.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Medal + t-shirt = perfect combo :cool: Especially if they manage to get decent t-shirts you can actually wear or run in or something

It's quite nice if you get a figurine or something, but I never know what to do with them

·
Registered
835 Posts
Trinity said:
P'raps a Marathon in the Birmingham area might be to you taste Trin?

The Bourneville Marathon (or half marathon for the weight watchers!)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Trinity said:
I hadn't either. Mine are currently "displayed" coiled up on a shelf in the spare room. I only have three at the moment, but my instructor's upped the pace of gradings a bit, so I might have 5 by the end of the year, if all goes well.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Steve said:
No need to go abroad for beer at the end of a race..Great East Run in Feb each year handed out 2 beers per finisher this year
right I am doing that race next year, infact I might see if they need an extra pair of hands :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts