Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

I never ever thought I'd be asking the following question but here goes !

I have read that wearing a pair of these help the recovery after longish runs, is that true or do they just keep your legs warm ?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Even if that is true, I can't see me going out and purchasing something called running tights or leggings, even if they do state they are for men. I'll go as far as Ron Hill's tracksters, but that's as tight as I'm going. I'm presuming that you wear something over the running tights or leggings. Otherwise, that's just weird.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd most certainly wear a pair of shorts over the top, there a bloke running around my way who wears a very tight pair of tights/leggings/tracksters without shorts :eek: - I was just interested to see if there was any real benefit from wearing these things other than for warmth.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Keep it to yourselves boys,I`ve got a pair of Nike leggings............:embarrassed:

In my defence,it has got to be bloody cold and bloody dark for me to wear em.

Twice this year..........:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you might have a pair :p

I assume you wear a pair of baggy shorts over them ? :d, are they just used for when its freezing or do you notice a difference in terms of recovery?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
JBBury said:
I'll go as far as Ron Hill's tracksters, but that's as tight as I'm going.
Tracksters are leggings if you ask me! :p

Anyway, I've got some skins compression leggings and happy to say I have worn them on every run since getting them about a month ago. In my opinions wearing shorts over the top just make you looks more silly! Admitedly it works with wearing loose shorts over cycling type shorts, but honestly with leggings it looks silly! Anyway, are you saying you have something you need to hide? :p

From a recovery point of view, some people swear by them. I can't say I wake up the next day feeling ready to run a marathon but I do seem to suffer with tired/tense/achey muscles less nowadays.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
I thought you might have a pair :p

I assume you wear a pair of baggy shorts over them ? :d, are they just used for when its freezing or do you notice a difference in terms of recovery?
No shorts over the top Granty.

No difference in recovery as far as I can tell.

I feel a lot more comfortable in Shorts,and that is the most important thing to me.

Anyway I havn`t got the "equipment" to wear tight leggings in the daylight when it`s cold...........:embarrassed:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
for wearing after running i assume you mean something like 'skins' altho they can also be used to run in.
compression gear meant to aid recovery.... some people use them and think they're ace.. all (positive) research i've seen into them is in cyclists which have a bit less pouding than runners but they may well help.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
At least with running tights you won't get chaffing unless you don't already, but surely they are better as your muscles will warm up quicker?

I run in tights all the time, I think all men should run in them in fact I might try and get a law passed.... ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I don't think I'd like to see everyone run in tights, but certainly a healthy lady running in tights is a pleasant sight to behold and makes running a far more enjoyable experience ;)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I hate wearing tights, i hate showing my legs too, but wearing loose bottoms is not that comfortable either.

I would like a pair of steel tights so nothing moves when you run :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
I do leggins if it's close to or below freezing. My knees hurt otherwise. I wear baggy shorts over the top too otherwise I look like a bit

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is nothing wrong with running tights, if it's cold then for me it's a no brainer! But wearing shorts over the top you look soo stupid, I'm sorry but it's so true!
With the tights for recovery it has to be compression clothing. Linebreak is what I use after my sessions and it really does help. If you have a turned ankle or something then a cheap alternative is to go to boots and buy some flight socks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got a couple of pairs of Nike tight shorts for running when it's cold and some Asics tights complete with foot stirrups which I wear over my tight shorts when it's really cold. I always wear a long top with them which covers my, err, embarassment. But are you more exposed wearing kit like that then when you go out in the height of summer wearing really short shorts and vest?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changing tact slightly, any advice for runners who wear glasses. I am doing a marathon relay in may and am worried about sweat, rain on glasses affecting vision etc. As someone fairly new to the sport advice would be welcome, hat,sweatband or any suggestions would be welcome

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
kev said:
Changing tact slightly, any advice for runners who wear glasses. I am doing a marathon relay in may and am worried about sweat, rain on glasses affecting vision etc. As someone fairly new to the sport advice would be welcome, hat,sweatband or any suggestions would be welcome
Hi Kev, I run in glasses, it can be a problem .
I 've got an elasticated strap which has two little loops either end which fit onto the earpieces of my glasses .this holds them in the same position no matter how much you sweat thus avoiding the dreaded slippage down the nose most opticians sell them i had mine in specsavers . with regard rain a peaked cap does enough to keep the majority off even in torrential rain

good luck in may

take it easy

cheriton;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts