Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started running a few months ago, wearing an old pair of Addidas as my go to running shoe. I recently bought a brand new pair of Nike Trail running trainers to replace the running shoes and since then I've been plighted with pain in both balls of my feet. It sounds like Metatarsalgia. It seems to come on around 2.5km into my run and gradually worsens the longer I continue. The strange thing is that I've worn my running shoes for walks and had no such problem. My Addidas trainers were flat with zero cushioning (I don't think they were even running shoes) so I'm wondering whether this transition has something to do with it. I don't know what to do - it's been 6 weeks now. I've reduced the frequency I run as well as the duration but it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Tips and advice would be much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I started running a few months ago, wearing an old pair of Addidas as my go to running shoe. I recently bought a brand new pair of Nike Trail running trainers to replace the running shoes and since then I've been plighted with pain in both balls of my feet. It sounds like Metatarsalgia. It seems to come on around 2.5km into my run and gradually worsens the longer I continue. The strange thing is that I've worn my running shoes for walks and had no such problem. My Addidas trainers were flat with zero cushioning (I don't think they were even running shoes) so I'm wondering whether this transition has something to do with it. I don't know what to do - it's been 6 weeks now. I've reduced the frequency I run as well as the duration but it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Tips and advice would be much appreciated! :)
Hi,

I`ve been suffering from chronic Metarsalagia in my left foot for over 3 yrs now and I`m onto my 3rd podiatrist !

I ran pain free from the age of 24 and it developed when I was 50.

99% of my running is off road and mine is definitely worse in the Summer months, when the ground is bone hard.

From what the various podiatrists have told me, mine is caused by 2 hammer toes on my left foot ( little toe and the one next to it ) and also by the fat pad on the ball of my left foot thinning because of age.

I run in many pairs of shoes and bizarrely some of the least cushioned are the ones I can run in for the longest pain free.

The first thing I would advise is going to see a sports podiatrist and let them have a good look at your feet. They`ll look at your gait and stride pattern too, before making a diagnosis and advising accordingly.

There`s so many things that can cause it, that you deffo need a professional opinion.

Through trial and error, I`ve been able to manage mine reasonably well, by running in a variety of shoes - max cushioned Hoka`s during the Summer months, when the ground is at it`s hardest and INOV 8`s in the Winter when the ground is boggy / soft.

I`ve had 3 different sets of orthotic inserts made by the different podiatrists and none have worked for me.

The last week has been heaven, with the all the rain making the ground muddy and my running almost pain free :LOL:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts