Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I just did this one today and finished in 55:11, which is 21 seconds slower than my first 10k last month! As it happens, my last 10k felt a bit all over the place, so today I deliberately maintained a more even pace than my first attempt and the net result is virtually the same, rather than going off like a coiled spring and then flagging quickly which I did last time. I did, however, have a much more comfortable run this time and I really enjoyed the event. I was cautious about pushing the boat out too soon, perhaps a little too much, so I erred with caution and stayed steady which I learnt a lot from. Perhaps next time I'll start to quicken up a bit more after the halfway mark with the benefit of a little more confidence from the two outings I now have under my belt at this distance. Overall, I was happy with my little run today. I've got some more 10k's lined up to have another crack at:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
It just goes to show how your fitness has improved, as you have felt more comfortable on this race than you did your last, only a mere 20 secs out, I think that is a great result well done :d

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, TT and hot foot:) actually, I meant to say that my finishing time yesterday was 55:32 - not 55:11. That was my previous time. Just out of interest, how do both of you, or anybody else here, plan your 10k's? Do you run steady at a good pace all the way or do you hold back for a bit then really go for it, and at what point in a 10k is ideal to quicken up?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm not the best to advise on that Rob as I've only done one.

In that one I just went for it right from the off and tried to hold a constant pace. Slowed slightly in the middle but managed to pick up again for not to bad a finish. Personally I do tend to risk blowing up early with my approach to most races. Probably not the best way to run any race but I'm generally pleased with the results I've had.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I tend to run to heart rate, so it takes the pressure off mins per mile, because I know roughly what I can do at certain heart rates, plus with running to a heart rate I also know that I gave it everthing I had and if I wasn't quick enough then it means I have to work harder in training next time if I want to bring times down.

:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts