Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My legs have been sore all day....I've done no exercise since Thursday evening so as to be well rested for tomorrow's race.

Is this soreness psychological I wonder? :confused:

I hope so! :d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Yes it is Steve,Before a race you think all sorts of things all of a sudden you have twinges where you never had them before, your thinking have i got my number, what if my lace snaps,when should i leave for the race what if what if what if .

My best advice to you is this, once you get to the race start line be realistic about what time you hope to achieve .Position yourself in what you feel you will complete the race in .

If you go to far up the field the liklehood is that you will get carried along with too fast a start and struggle in the second half of the race .

Better to start off at a comfortable pace and to pick off the people who have started too fast .You'll soon work out who they are .

When you do catch them unless they are going seriously backwards it's wise to sit on thier shoulders for a few seconds this gives you a psychological edge ,espescially when you then pass them.Don't sit there too long otherwise you can get into a comfort zone and your mind will start to play tricks .

You should try and maintain your concentration throughout.

I used this tactic in the llanelli half a few weeks ago and only one runner came past me from about mile six but i caught and passed loads .

This gives you a tremendous feeling. around mile 11 see how your feeling if you feel good then it won't hurt to push on a little but don't go mad you don't want to burn out

Other than that it'll be a breeze :eek:

Enjoy the day ,enjoy the race the soreness will disappearonce your on the start line

Good luck and as always let us know how you get on

Ps dont do anything unusual on race day make sure if poss you empty your bowels:eek: :eek: :eek: dont want any accidents now do we!

cheriton

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Best of luck, Steve :) Fingers crossed for you to get a good result.

Cheriton's advice sounds pretty awesome, I might try that overtaking strategy myself next time

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
cheriton said:
Yes it is Steve,Before a race you think all sorts of things all of a sudden you have twinges where you never had them before, your thinking have i got my number, what if my lace snaps,when should i leave for the race what if what if what if .

My best advice to you is this, once you get to the race start line be realistic about what time you hope to achieve .Position yourself in what you feel you will complete the race in .

If you go to far up the field the liklehood is that you will get carried along with too fast a start and struggle in the second half of the race .

Better to start off at a comfortable pace and to pick off the people who have started too fast .You'll soon work out who they are .

When you do catch them unless they are going seriously backwards it's wise to sit on thier shoulders for a few seconds this gives you a psychological edge ,espescially when you then pass them.Don't sit there too long otherwise you can get into a comfort zone and your mind will start to play tricks .

You should try and maintain your concentration throughout.

I used this tactic in the llanelli half a few weeks ago and only one runner came past me from about mile six but i caught and passed loads .

This gives you a tremendous feeling. around mile 11 see how your feeling if you feel good then it won't hurt to push on a little but don't go mad you don't want to burn out

Other than that it'll be a breeze :eek:

Enjoy the day ,enjoy the race the soreness will disappearonce your on the start line

Good luck and as always let us know how you get on

Ps dont do anything unusual on race day make sure if poss you empty your bowels:eek: :eek: :eek: dont want any accidents now do we!

cheriton
Hi Steve , just read your running cv didn't really need the advice i gave feel a bit of :embarrassed:

Still might come in useful for someone else so all is not lost :d
Good luck

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
My thoughts are with you slogging away atm steve! (though i've no idea what the start time for your race was)...

As cheriton says, all very much a case of pre race nerves making every little thing seem like a major potential problem - I seem to get it everytime I have a race coming up, this time last year I went out for an 8 mile run a week before a 1/2 Mara and it turned into a 5.5mile run/jog, 1.5mi walk... really got me worried about race day but all went well in the end :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
my legs start to ache if I don't run for a few days... whether I have a race comeing up or not

Cheriton... is that what you was doing when you said hello to me at Llanelli?

I don't think I started too far up the field, I was going for 1.37 and got 1.36. Maybe if I had started further back I could have got a minute or so off that?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Trinity said:
my legs start to ache if I don't run for a few days... whether I have a race comeing up or not

Cheriton... is that what you was doing when you said hello to me at Llanelli?

I don't think I started too far up the field, I was going for 1.37 and got 1.36. Maybe if I had started further back I could have got a minute or so off that?
Trin you passed me at about two mile marker i knew it was you cause you've got a near perfect frame A si said before the fact that you had hogweed trotters emblazoned on your vest had nothing to do with it .As to whether or not you could have gone faster we'll never know but it might be worth bearing in mind for the next one

I think i could have pushed harder myself from about 9 miles but being my first half wasn't too sure

Idon't think you started to far up the field but bare in mind that you 'd been poorly before the race

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
well, I don't know about the near perfect frame but it might need a little work this week due to the wine and chocolate from the weekend :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheriton said:
Hi Steve , just read your running cv didn't really need the advice i gave feel a bit of :embarrassed:

Still might come in useful for someone else so all is not lost :d
Good luck
We all need reminding and telling what we need to do and think about on race day every now and again Cheriton..no need for your :embarrassed: ! :d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts