Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really getting into this running lark!

I am now running 3m, 3 - 4 times per week and really enjoying it. However due to limited time I now have very little time to go to the Gym. I'm hoping to run my first half marathon in March, is going to the Gym important or will running 4 times a week alone be enough?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I think running 4 times a week would be enough, as long as you build up the mileage sensibly.

If you miss going to the gym, you could maybe go once a week and do a full body weights workout.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I ended up quitting the gym because it just seemed to get in the way of potential running time! :lol:

4 runs a week will be fine to do a half, for optimum performance though, be sure to make sure they're quality workouts ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
4 runs a week should be fine...quality runs ...hills/speed/tempo and a long slow run a week

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Im going to disagree with you guys on this one.
I have agym at home, converted the garage as my old man weight trains 5 times a week, its a levarage system so all safe for me to squat, leg extensions, dead lifting on my own.
Im only small, weighing in at 8 stone ish, and i lift light long reps twice a week.
I find this helps my stamina to be honest, makes my legs stronger, makes me use other muscles which i think in turn can help you against injury, i might be wrong guys but dont be put off:d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Have to say, although I don't use a gym I have started adding in cross training as a way to increase my fitness without risking overuse injuries.

Guess it depends what you want from your running. Bolt trains daily in the gym and three or four times a week on the track, if I remember right.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have to say I enjoy the gym for upper bosy workouts and I try and hit it 3 times a week Mon, Weds & Fri with runs on Tues, Thurs and Sun with Sat as a day of rest..but yes it is hard to fit it in with work schedules but I think you have to be committed. I agree with Hayley in terms of using weight/weigh machines to attack different muscles and to build strength helping on the injury front...but the I guess every one will have their own opinions...

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Im only small, weighing in at 8 stone ish, and i lift light long reps twice a week.
I find this helps my stamina to be honest, makes my legs stronger, makes me use other muscles which i think in turn can help you against injury, i might be wrong guys but dont be put off:d
I agree, I feel stronger running when lifting. However, I've tried doing higher reps but find it doesn't help me as much - 6-10 reps seem to help me a lot more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts