Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the description suggests, I am looking for training schedules which invole other activities in addition to running.

I cycle & play football also, and as a result it is not always possible to fit in 4-5 running sessions in a week. As a result I sometimes use football & cycling as a session, or two, but obviously I am guessing as to what the running equivalent would be.

Is anyone aware of a schedule which provides mixed activities, or of a rough guide of what other activities equate to in terms of running, (i.e 30 minutes of 6-a-side = 8 x 3 minutes at 5k pace, or 10 miles cycling = 3 miles steady, etc)

Thanks

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I remember reading that for a cycle to equate to a run, you would have to multiply your run session by 1.5, e.g a four mile run would equal a six mile cycle.

There are plenty of three days a week running schedules on Runners World website, so I would look there first. You could then schedule your other activities on the "rest days".

There is a book called Traning Plans for Multisport Athletes by Gale Bernhardt which is mainly aimed at triathletes/duathletes, but also includes a section for people training in other sports too.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I only tend to run 3 times a week and do other sports on the other days - just make sure you get 3 hard runs in each week, perhaps some speed/hill work, a tempo run and a long run, and fit in your other sessions around that.

Cycling and swimming would equate to an easy run, though football does take it out of you a lot. I do speed/hills on a tues, 50mins football on a weds, and 8mile tempo on Thurs - by friday I'm pooped!

As Grant says, I reckon you're best bet would be to find a 3 runs-a week schedule and cross train on your rest days. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered duathalon & Triathalon training schedules so will definitely look at this.

I am not really sure about using up my rest days for football & cycling, as I do feel that rest days are necessary, as without them I do bwegin to feel very tired & jaded.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
That's fair enough... but it kinda depends what you want to achieve from your running. If running is your main aim then I wouldn't expect to find particularly big gains in running less than 3 times a week. But if it's general fitness you're after then you'll be fine.

Just to clarify, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you cross train on every rest day; perhaps run 3 times a week, have either one or two full rest days, and the other days playing football or cycling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... I am definitely more of a finisher than a challenger.... but I am training for the Edinburgh Marathon which has necessitated a bit of an increase in my training.

Also, thanks for the clarification, and good advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts