Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As well as having started running, I've also bought a set of dumbells and am wanting to mix my running with some weight work in the evenings.

Has anyone got any suggestions regarding how best to go about this?

My running (ideally) will take place on:
- Wed pm
- Fri am
- Sun am
Giving rest days in between.

I was thinking some light weight work every evening along with some ab crunches?

All help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I lift weights twice a week - thats more than enough for me when I'm running 2-3 times per week. I wouldn't suggest lifting every night, as you need to give your body a rest for all types of training to see the benefits.

With your dumbells, you could probably have an long list of excercise you could do, such as:

Rows
Shoulder Press
Chest Press
Curls
Dumbell Squats
Dumbell Deadlifts or Leg Curls

Do 3-4 sets for each excercise and the same amount for your crunches. Start of with a couple of sessions a week and see how it goes. You could maybe add in a third session, but you'd need to watch out for signs of overtraining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Grant.

Perhaps I will do the weights on the days I don't run?

How many repetitions per set do you think - 12-15?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually wright train and run on separate days - witht the effort I put into either activity, I know I wouldn't be able to the other one well enough.

12-15 reps is probably a good place to start to help build strength and stamina.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give it a go tomorrow before my run and see how it goes. Otherwise I'll do alternate days of running and weights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts