Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all - i'm new on here, hi everyone!

have just recently started running, having previously been more into hiking and cycling. been doing it for a few months now - did the manchester 10k and really enjoyed it so that spurred me on. with a friend we've been training to do the cancer care morecambe bay half marathon (across the sands at low tide) ....have done some 20k practice runs so am KIND OF ok about the distance, but the thing we are very unsure about is what its going to be like running on such a wet sandy surface.

so my main question is - has anyone done this, or similar? any advice on how to best minimise the trouble that wet trainers could cause?? the course involves wading across a river and lots of big patches of standing water on the sands of the bay (by the looks of it) so theres no chance of dry feet!

i'll be wearing my cheapo nike running shoes, and, at the moment, just a normal pair of thin socks.

any advice greatly appreciated!! (including - "don't do it you idiot" :) )

george

·
Registered
50 Posts
I s'pose the thought of the tide coming in and drowing you may spur you on?
Same as the Wobern Safari 10k with the animals - always good for PB.

Last time we ran on the beach we thought it was a good idea. However, it sapped our energy like nothing else. Guess it depends on the type of sand. Maybe see if you can find any reviews in google or on runners world

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
according to one account on their website the sand is fairly firm once you are out on the bay so it hopefully won't be as sapping as fluffy beach sand.

hopefully

·
Registered
28 Posts
i found myself on a long cornish beach, thought it would be nice for a run, fairly firm sand, but didn't have my running shoes. no problem i thought, run barefoot. after running about 2 miles down the beach became aware the sand was rubbing skin off my toes. and i still had to get back. not a pleasant sight when i finished. sand is abrasive, run barefoot at your peril! or maybe was just my soft skin...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I could take the tough love approach and say don't be soft just get on with it - Morecombe is fairly muudy so the likeliehood of finding fluffy sand will be remote.

The vaseline is a good idea RK - are your shoes breathable and your socks? It sounds like fun when is it? I've just checked the date its when I'm away on holiday but you will have to let us know what you thought of it as it sounds fab.

Take a spare pair of shoes and socks to change into once you've finished and dry your feet properly afterwards

·
Registered
1 Posts
morecambe bay half marathon

Best advice for the event is to be prepared for running on sand which changes with weather conditions. If it is a dry day the surface for the first five miles will be rock hard over tractor tracks, if wet then the sand will be soggy over the same distance.

The crossing of the Kent channel again changes with weather conditions, if windy the surface will deliver waves which can be over a foot high, if calm the river can run fast especially after heavy rainfall. The best way to cross the channel is to wade through not try to run and walk with the flow of water rather than try to walk straight or against the run of water, walking with the run of water is similar to running with the wind rather than against it.

The second half of the event follows channel banks which are first of all, spongy in nature but easy to run on, then hard and dry and smooth for the last three miles.

Do not wear your best running shoes for this event, the salt water will ruin them.
Apart from the first and last half miles the event can be run barefoot.

The suface is much faster tan most would appreciate, indeed apart from river crossings the surface is considered as fast as any.

The route is supervised by tractors for the first five miles, and quads at every mile on the second half of the event.

If windy a tip is to ask the supervising quad to run in front of you as a wind break.

Have a good run on Morecambe Bay there is nothing quite like it.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Vaseline could be a bad thing. If you get lots of sand in your shoes once mixed with the vaseline you would get a very abrasive comopund.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts