Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there - found this web forum while looking for some advice on starting running! It looks great - very friendly and I'm hoping you will help me meet my running goals - in return I promise to be a good citizen of runnersforum!!

brief details - 32yr old male, used to be very fit and active - Karate, Gym work & swimming - slowly declining in activity since leaving university (yep - I was mega fit AT university!)

Not done a jot of exercise since my daughter was born in Dec 2003 - put a few pounds on and still struggle to find time to 'go' somewhere to exercise - so thought running would be ideal as I can just go out from, and return to, home.

Anyway - started running 3 weeks ago been running 2.5miles every second night - taking about 25 mins although improving. legs used to hurt, but they seem to have adapted very quickly and now my cardio capacity is the restraining factor.

I use a heart rate monitor (Polar F6) and it's set to give an alarm below my lower and above my upper aerobic thresholds - 122 - 160bpm for me. I tend to walk the first 4 mins for a warm up and then run til it beeps at me, walk until the rate has recovered to around 135 and then set off running again, trying to go slowly to maximise the time I am actually running - then slowing to a brisk walk to recover when the heart rate is too high.

does anyone agree with this method of training or would you recommend a different plan of action?? My goals are to enter the Blackpool 10k fun run next may and I want to do a sub-1hr time - I think this is achievable?

Any comments welcome

Thanks,

Graham

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have also just started running, so not qualified to give any advice.Well done for starting. I look forward to reading your future entries.
I also am running everyother day, and at the moment only able to run half the distance you are running now, but one thing I have learnt is that every person is at different stages and your own personal goal is that what counts.Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya mate - thanks for responding!

I picked a route on google maps that looked interesting=ish - from my home - to the park - through the park and back home. Worked it out on my GPS thingy to be 2.49miles. I was interested in a route that was A) interesting and B) woul dkeep me out for around 20-25 minutes to begin with. Mind you - when you say you are not at the same distance, you have to remember that I cover it through a mixture of walking and running at the moment, although I will build up to continuous running (and then have to extend the route to ensure it still takes 20-25 mins)

Can I just ask - how much did you spend on your running shoes?

I have a pair of New Balance shoes that are really "cross-trainers" that I am using at the moment - they are a bit 'clumpy' and last night I notice a pain in my knees - I'm wondering if they are unsuitable for road running?

I fancy going to a decent running shop (inotice sweatshop have a branch in Chorley) and getting fitted up, but fear this may be an expensive route?
any tips??

Graham

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
gkerr4 said:
I have a pair of New Balance shoes that are really "cross-trainers" that I am using at the moment - they are a bit 'clumpy' and last night I notice a pain in my knees - I'm wondering if they are unsuitable for road running?

I fancy going to a decent running shop (inotice sweatshop have a branch in Chorley) and getting fitted up, but fear this may be an expensive route?
any tips??

Graham
Welcome to the forum Graham, the correct shoes are very important for a runner and you'll get a good pair for around £60-£80. My advice would be to go to your local Sweatshop and see what shoes they think will be best for you. They will take a look at your stride and gait and make an appropriate recommendation. Buying incorrect shoes often leads to injury.

Best of luck and don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response Dan - appreciated.

I will try and get through to sweatshop tomorrow if I can manage to get out for a bit!

My knees feel a little tender today - at the front when I put too much weight through one leg with the knee joint bent - also sore if I tap the inside of my knee - strange! (guess I'll just stop tapping them!!)

seriously though - I think my shoes are aggravating my knees and I need to look for ones with a bit more absorbtion!

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well - finally made it to Sweatshop.

As a bit of background though, I haven't ran since posting above - my knees were really starting to hurt so I thought I would rest them for a week (although I did continue with the cycling) to try and let them recover. I took a half day flexi-time this afternoon and drove to my local sweatshop in chorley. The staff were very helpful and young girl who seemed very knowledgable gave me some assistance. I told her what I was doing and my method for training, that I was using cross trainers at the moment etc. She got a pair of very cushioned shoes out that she said would highlight any running traits and she had me running up and down the shop while she looked at my feet and legs. She felt I was a mild over-pronator so some support shoes were appropriate.

I tried a number of models out :-
addidas Supernova's - couldn't get the size right
2 Saucony models - forget the models which were ok
asics GT2110 which were good but a bit more than I was looking to pay
finally ended up with a pair of Mizuno Wave Nirvana2's which were a good fit, quite firm feeling and a decent price - job done I thought.

only.. I went out for a short run tonight - walked a couple minutes to warm up and then set off - must have managed about 20 strides before my knee's were screaming for mercy. I tried to push on, but only managed a 1/2 mile in total before I had to turn back home -

so my knew shoes have only covered about a mile and it looks like it might be their only mile!

What can be wrong with my knees? I never used to have problems with my knee's in Karate or weight training. Are they just adjusting? could the shoes have made them worse?

Any advice gladly accepted - very deflated tonight to be honest and thinking perhaps running isn't for me - although I desperately wanted it to be..

Graham

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello brav

You will be fine

but what you will need to do is increase the amount you run every two weeks by half a mile and slowly progress from there or take one of those 2.5 miles and change it to a quick shuttle run this is the best way to improve your cardio.

Believe me it works I have done lot of full and half marathons in this way

Regards Abs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again!
Where is the pain?

If you pushed your legs together at the knees - the first part that would touch, on the lower part of the leg - that is where the pain is. It is in both knee's, although the right one started first, tonight they were both as bad as each other.

If I tap my knees it really hurts! - especially in one part - which I assume is the joint - it is quite a sharp pain (i know I know - stop tapping my knees!)

damn annoying

Any ideas?

I know if I go to a doctor he will just say "stop running" as that is what all NHS doctors are programmed to say about sports injuries!
Thanks again,

Graham

·
Registered
2 Posts
gkerr4 said:
Hi again!
Where is the pain?

If you pushed your legs together at the knees - the first part that would touch, on the lower part of the leg - that is where the pain is. It is in both knee's, although the right one started first, tonight they were both as bad as each other.

If I tap my knees it really hurts! - especially in one part - which I assume is the joint - it is quite a sharp pain (i know I know - stop tapping my knees!)

damn annoying

Any ideas?

I know if I go to a doctor he will just say "stop running" as that is what all NHS doctors are programmed to say about sports injuries!
Thanks again,

Graham
It sounds as if you need to see a Chiropractor as it maybe that the pain is refered pain from your back but if it is just your knee pain they can also deal with that as I saw one some years ago after getting no where with my GP and no problems since. Best of luck, happy running.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Graham,
I'd recommend seeing a doctor, and don't accept that standard answer to stop running. That is no solution at all.

A pain on the inside of your knee when you tap it? Well that could be your medial cartilage, which is the problem that I've just gone through. Only thing is, if it's in both your knees then that would be highly, highly unusual. If that is your problem, then the doctor should refer you for an MRI scan. That way they can check for torn cartilage before they go in. After that, well, it's a pretty quick procedure. IF this is your problem, of course.

I'll really stress here - I'm not an expert - but I've recently been through this one myself, having "accepted" the pain for the last ten years, until finally things went ballistic, and I was catatonic with pain for the last few weeks before the op. A key feature for the doctor's analysis before the MRI scan was the pain on the inside of my knee.

I'm not sure this helps or just frightens you. Either way, you can just ignore a doctor that says to stop running. I would recommend going though. Why stop running?

And, now that it's all over for me - well I can't tell you enough how absolutely brilliant it is to be on the other side of this problem. A little thing like that, that grinds away at you for years and years, keeping you from exercising. The relief of feeling that I can once again exercise is just fantastic.

So even if your problem is different to mine (was), you should seek medical help - doctor, chiropracter, biomechanic person, sports injury physiotherapist - just do get help, because that severe a pain after just one mile is not right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Karen & Elizabeth,

Many thanks for your support and advice - really appreciate it.

Karen -Your story is a little scary I have to admint, - I agree that the fact that it is in both knee's is strange and makes me wonder if it is simply my knee's adjusting or reacting to my sudden increase in exercise - i.e. cartilage or ligament material getting a bit inflamed?

I stopped running for a week to see if it would calm down (although I did have 3 nights out on the bike - 1hr at a time @ 16mph) - but running last night it was the worst it has ever been!!

I'lll make an appointment with my GP and perhaps check out a local private sports injuries clinic for advice.

Thanks again,

Graham

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I've got ITBS (pain on outsideof the knee) at the moment but I didn't bother my GP I went straight to a physio and I've also consulted a podiatrist.
Are you warming up before a run and do you stretch afterwards? You might want to try some knee strengthening exercises.

Ice your knees and rest - don't try running through it. When you are ready to return to running. You may wan to try a different surface for a while. Also take it easy when you return try 15 mins then increase each run gradually.

I'm currently in the second week of my rest period - miss running

1 - 13 of 13 Posts