Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking and i think that running in the morning will be the best thing for me to do......

I am on late shifts this week so will be ideal for me,when I'm on the early shift i will have to re think but i'm going to take it one day at a time.

What do you suggest I do food wise,I don't want to run on an empty stomach but I also don't want to run after just eating breakfast!!!!!!

Thanks for all your encouraging words on my other post......you have given me the motivation to go out there and run!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I work shifts and find that when I start work at 1pm then a good time to run is when there aren't any school kids around ie 9.00am, although to be absolutely honest I've only just started running outside again after going over on my ankle a couple of months ago.

As for food, I don't eat until I get back from my run but don't know whether htis is good for me or not.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I work shifts too, so I often run in the morning, as thumbs says, 9am is a good time after the rush hour. In the summer though I may venture out about seven in the morning or earlier when the peace and quiet is lovely. As for food, depending on how far I'm running, I find that eating a banana about half an hour before usually does me until I get back.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I usually get my first run in at 5am. At that time it's just a case of getting dressed and heading out the door. The peace and solitude on what are normally very busy roads is a fine reward for being out that early! :d

Running on an empty stomach really shouldn't be a problem, as you'll be using the energy provided from last night's meal.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I like to leave around 4 hours after I`ve eaten before I run.So when I run in the mornings it is on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
If you have time to have a banana or even porridge an hour before you go out they are easily digested and will give you bundles of energy, it will also depend on how long you are going out for, people on here vary greatly with their food in take. It will be a case of trial and error.

Good for you for getting out :d

·
Registered
21 Posts
Running on an empty stomach is only a problem if you run very long eg 2hrs or very hard eg a set of hard hill reps, for which you would probably need to boost your energy stores before you go out eg with a carb drink or gel which are easy to digest, or if you have more time porridge or banana as mentioned. But for a traditional 'steady run' it shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts