Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I didn't manage to get to the running club last night as I spent the evening repairing the other half's car to get her to work this morning after she had a bit of an incident :confused: thankfully she's fine and the car just has a dent & scratch on the rear quarter left to repair (i'm yet to master car bodywork repair).

Anyway, back to the point, to try and make up a little for last night missed 8miler (and a missed 4.3 miler the night before!) I thought I'd wake up early and have a morning run, letting my legs recover throughout today so I can manage another run this evening.

My question is, how do you guys/gals do it?? I had to be up at 5:45 to be able to squeeze a 3miler in! My legs felt heavy and very stiff as I'd literally hopped out of bed, into my kit and out the door.

What time do you get up? do you eat brekky before or after? how far do you manage? :huh:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I dont manage morning ones, its impossible for me as i work near enough an hour away. so i have to leave early as it is.

I go running in my lunch hour.. better than sitting at your desk eating all the christmas choccys and pies ;)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm the same, can't see to leap out of bed at an earlier enough time to wake up and get a recent run in.

I normally run around about 8.00ish in the evening and quite enjoy that.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have done them, but I always feel half asleep still, I really like my bed and don't really want to have to get out of it until it is absolutely necessary.... :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A couple of times now I've gotten into routines where I get up an hour earlier, slam on my kit, put in a quick few miles and then had a leisurely breakfast & shower before work.

Both of them lasted exactly one day :rolleyes:

Much respect to anyone who can do it tho :p

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My ideal time of day is mid-afternoon, probably close to 12 hours after pedestrian ha ha :) I just don't run well in the mornings and can't enjoy it as much. Winter is a bit limiting, but we are past the shortest day of the year now, right? Here's to the supposed 2 minutes a day more daylight we get from now until June! Hoo-ray!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Working nights at the moment I am no example to follow.
But when I worked "normal" hours and wanted to run twice in the same day, 6 am would be the time to do it in the morning.
I wouldn't run more than 5 miles and yes, usually I would feel stiff.
I found that a warm (not very hot) shower helps. As does being awake and moving at least 1 hour before the run.
No breakfast for me before running that early.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I sometimes do early morning runs on weekdays (especially during the winter as the days are so short and I hate running in the dark during rush hour). I usually feel crap when I first wake up and so have some light breakfast then run. I only usually do 4 or 6 miles on a weekday morning run, and leave long runs to the weekends. After a mile of running I'm wide awake and my pace picks up.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
This Friday is going to be my first early morning run! I have something on Friday evening so can't go to the gym. I don't need to get up quite as early as some of you, probably about 6:30am to get the train in to Edinburgh for 7:30am. Go to the gym for an hour and then have a shower and head in to work for 8:30am ish....looking forward to it just now but we will see how it goes on Friday morning!!

Not sure what to do about breakfast though, should I eat before or after and if after what should I have?

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good luck with it Owain.

Personally,I would leave breakfast till after your workout.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try eating afterwards this friday, and if you feel lifeless and lacking energy you'll know to eat beforehand next week. Leaving an hour should be enough as long as the brekky is nothing too substantial (I could probably manage a regular run on 3 'bix w/milk an hour before running)

·
Registered
707 Posts
At the moment I'm only running on saturday mornings (the rest are early evening runs after work) because I can't cope with the dark... but in the summer I usually wake up at 6.30 for a quick 3 miles. If I wanna do longer runs they have to wait til the evening because there's only so little sleep I can deal with before I have to spend a day in the lab... ANYWAY I'm very sensitive to light, so pretty much in the summer I can't sleep that much longer than sun-rise heh, equally I don't get tired til quite late. But yeah, I just jump into my kit, do the run>have a shower>stretch>get dressed etc>breakfast. I can't run with anything in my stomach so in some ways I actually feel better running first thing in the morning. Equally sometimes I'm quite stiff... BUT last saturday I managed quite a quick time... so it's not all bad.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I did an 8 mile run at 6.45am this morning. It was quite warm and very quite. I liked it. Although I came to a part of the run where it was pitch black for a couple of miles, which was a bit scary. I also nearly ran into a couple of dog walkers and other runners. Might have helped if I had put my contacts in. But morning runs can be fun.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Definitely. My Runs are always (mostly) in wooded areas and parks, so at 6.30 in the morning there's not many people going about. So it's nice and peaceful, and sometimes there's lots of squirrels running about. There's a little brook that I run along too, and so it makes a nice relaxing sound... except when you're bursting for a pee!! :S

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
JBBury said:
I did an 8 mile run at 6.45am this morning. It was quite warm and very quite.
It was really quite warm this morning wasnt it! Very odd considering the last couple of mornings there has been ice around the place!!

Where do you run in Edinburgh? Once the weather improves I will get back in to running round the meadows and up arthurs seat during my lunch breaks.

O.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts