Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the most ever users on-line on a single occasion was 288! :eek: (27/10/06 at 11-30pm). What was going on at the time? I've been a member of this forum since last November, and must've logged on every day since I joined (sad, but true I'm afraid). :embarrassed: I think that the most I've ever seen at any one time is only about a dozen, which seemed a little claustrophobic to be honest! 288?! Was this an organized forum rally or something?
There must be some current "active" members who were around at the time. What did the rest of us miss on that occasion? :huh:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
I've noticed that the most ever users on-line on a single occasion was 288! :eek: (27/10/06 at 11-30pm). What was going on at the time? I've been a member of this forum since last November, and must've logged on every day since I joined (sad, but true I'm afraid). :embarrassed: I think that the most I've ever seen at any one time is only about a dozen, which seemed a little claustrophobic to be honest! 288?! Was this an organized forum rally or something?
There must be some current "active" members who were around at the time. What did the rest of us miss on that occasion? :huh:
I've thought about this as well mr p. I wonder if there was something being given away free at the time

This usually brings out the masses.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
everyday there seems to be more people viewing the forum as a guest than actual members, but yeah, I'd imagine the socks giveaway is how the 288 was managed! If i'm honest I don't think I'd be on the forum too much if we had that many people, it'd just be too hard to keep on top of posts/threads!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I like your sig... it's the kind of thing that's nice to look at, I mean numbers accruing, like how i like logging onto my training calnder thingy and see that I've burnt 20000 calories...

... in the past 5 months heh

Anyhoo, I'm a bit disappointed that it was only a blip :( I was wondering if the sock give-a-way would be happening again!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Technobabble:

The most users online is determined by the number of unique sessions in any given time period, which defaults to 15 minutes.
One session is created for each visitor and then retained either through cookie or url rewriting. This means that if 3 members login within 15 mins, then 3 sessions are created and the most online will show 3. Note that if you surf around the site you will keep your same session, so it will continue to show 3.

Where the 288 came from (apart from Dan possibly accidently setting it to 24 hours) is mainly search engines and automated spam bots.
Search engines don't retain cookies, meaning that they are allocated a new session each visit. The exception is if they follow a link that has the sessionid in it, however since they often come in to refresh a page in their cache, rather than to do a full site crawl, I don't think that happens often.

Put simply if google visits 20 times in 15 mins and doesn't follow session links, that will display as 20 different users which bumps the online number up. I also beleive that google shows up if you have the google toolbar, though I can't remember why.

It's not really all that reliable as a number.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The right decision I think, you look much better with them off.

Is the camera man pissed, he seems to develop camera shake as the film goes on :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah, but I look totally different now. Longer, dark dark brown hair. ANYWAY, yeah the camera changed hands quite a bit, but I think I was the one with shakey hands! The John the Hermit scenes were fair enough to be like that... it was snowing and really really windy! Anyway, that wasn't the real reason, as in the other couple of movies we made, in April when it was really warm, my camera-holding-stillness was poo. I'm just too excitable :p

1 - 20 of 44 Posts