Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

Started running last year, but was hit with an injury in the summer.

Plantar Fascitis...arrrrgggghhhh...its been months since now..but I really want to get back to my running in the new year. I've now had orthotics made, but was looking into a motion control shoe as I severley over-pronoate (...or so the podiatrist tells me!)

Anyway...I'm looking at the Saucony 3D Grid Regulate.

Does anyone have any views or advice as to this shoe or any other motion control shoe?

Thanks,

YoJimbo!

·
Registered
104 Posts
YoJimbo said:
Hi Everyone!

Started running last year, but was hit with an injury in the summer.

Plantar Fascitis...arrrrgggghhhh...its been months since now..but I really want to get back to my running in the new year. I've now had orthotics made, but was looking into a motion control shoe as I severly over-pronoate (...or so the podiatrist tells me!)

Anyway...I'm looking at the Saucony 3D Grid Regulate.

Does anyone have any views or advice as to this shoe or any other motion control shoe?

Thanks,

YoJimbo!
Other shoes to look at would be:

Brooks Beast
Asics Gel Kayanos
New Balance 766/854/1050

I would advise visiting your local running shop. The should be able to take a look at your running style and help you decide.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
For those who are new running motion control shoes are generally used by runners who overpronate. Overpronation is when the foot and ankle role inwards as your foot strikes the ground. Without the correct shoes overpronation can lead to injury. Runners with flat feet (i.e. no arch) often prefer to wear motion control shoes also. Motion control shoes tend to be a little heavier than regular shoes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI,

I went for the Saucony 3D Grid Regulate and put in some Sorbathane Double Strike Insoles. Feel very good and have even managed to run without the dreaded Plantar Fascia hurting!!

Now I've got to start building up again after a 4 month break from running!

No Pain, No Gain!:d

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great news that you are on the way back.

Are you using teh motion control shoes with the orthotics? Years ago I used orthotics and was advised to only wear neutral shoes with tehm to let teh orthotics do their job. \it may be worthwhile checking this with your podiatrist.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For info the Asics Kayanos are unlikely to provide enough support for severe over-pronators. They are recommended for mild to moderate. I have tried a pair, but they don't seem to provide as much support as my Brooks Adrenaline.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with Greg on this one, a Kayano probably won't do the job quite as well as Gel Foundation. NB 815 has a straighter last than the more supportive cushioning shoes eg 1050. Difficult to beat the Beast or Regulate in this catagory of running shoe though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd agree with Gumps - check with the podiatrist about which shoes to use with your orthotics - as they will be correcting the problem and so will the shoes, so you might be overcorrecting.

Having said that, when I got orthotics the podiatrist told me to keep using my motion control shoes. I eventually ignored her advice and moved to neutral shoes and my legs seem better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steepler is correct, the Brooks Beast is untouchable on the market as far as Motion Control shoes go. It's very popular with heavier athletes/severe overpronators because of it's solid structure and support. If you are an orthotics wearer, you should check with your podiatrist that you can wear your orthotic in a motion control shoe?? Most are made to wear in neutral shoes, alternatively does your podiatrist want you to just try a motion control shoe instead of an orthotic?? They may want to design an orthotic around a shoe?? I would seek more advise from your podiatrist about your orthotics before you go any further!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
YoJimbo said:
FYI,

I went for the Saucony 3D Grid Regulate and put in some Sorbathane Double Strike Insoles. Feel very good and have even managed to run without the dreaded Plantar Fascia hurting!!

Now I've got to start building up again after a 4 month break from running!

No Pain, No Gain!:d
How's the comeback going mate?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts