Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back again though I'm sorry to say I havent been running for over a week.

I've had a tough time at work recently, I failed the driving test again yesterday and now my OH has been laid off!

I've lost all motivation to go running now and am feeling rather out of shape, any words of wisdom to help my mojo return?

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Hi Lizzie

Sorry to hear you've had an awful week.

Get out there over this week-end and get running. I find it takes my mind off whatever overwhelming worries I have (shopping has the same effect for me!) and when I get back to things, they never seem quite so bad. Plus its not going to cost anything.

With a bit of luck next week with be better. Fingers crossed for you!:)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
different things work for different people so take your pick :d

1)just think about how good you felt when you were running last.. and how fantastic you felt after.

2)the other outlook is that sitting around at home etc isnt going to change the bad luck that you and your other half have suffered...so what is your real reason for not wanting to go out?

personally i like running to act as a form of escaping... its just me and the road.. i can be anyone i choose to be and also be anywhere (well in my own head)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I find that the motivation usually comes back not long into my first run after a lay off, and that most of my decisions to improve diet or cut out bevvy or whatever are made not long into that first run.

I know that actually getting out there is the hard part, but once you're running again you'll remember why you wanted to do it in the first place.

Think about how good you feel when you see yourself improve!

Cheers,
Ito.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sorry you're having such a rubbish time of it at the moment, but getting some exercise is probably exactly what you need right now.

Switch the computer off, get your running kit on, head out the front door, and just go. Once you're running, you'll be glad you're out there and by the time you come back, although the things that have been getting you down will still be the same, you'll feel more positive about dealing with them, I promise.

Exercise in the fresh air is the best mood-lifting drug there is, and best of all, it won't cost you a penny. And, since it is somewhat addictive, getting one fix might well bring that mojo back and make you want to get out there again and again :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just so tired at the moment. Work has been a nightmare recently as my colleague who I work closely with has been signed off sick all week and I've had her work dumped on me as well as my own. I also had the stress of taking and failing my driving test again. I was so distraught yesterday I cried all afternoon and ended up going to bed before 6pm as I was so done in. Today even after a decent nights sleep I'm still feeling rather lethargic.

I don't cope well when I tired, I eat rubbish for comfort and just want to curl up on the sofa or in bed and feel sorry for myself. I also have the worry now of wondering if my OH will be able to get another job in the current climate.

I know deep down I should get out there again and run but today my body is simply protesting too much. With any luck I'll be in a better frame of mind tomorrow morning and will able to get out there for a trot down the road.

I often wonder if these things are sent to test us?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
How about just going out for a brisk walk this afternoon? It won't tire out your body like a run would, but it might perk you up a bit. Then you'll maybe feel more in the mood for a run in the morning.

Even if it's just the long way round to the corner shop to buy some chocolate :lol:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have been out today, we went for a walk around town this morning and had coffee down the road as we didnt want to be stuck indoors all day. It did help to get some fresh air though I soon felt like I could easily go back to bed again.

I think a walk down the trailway this afternoon may be a good idea, or even just to the local mill to watch the ducks at the river, they always make me smile

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
One other thought. However rubbish you feel your OH is probably feeling worse. Cook him something nice and have a cuddly evening then get up and go out tomorrow with a positive head.

No matter how bad it is things will get better, and usually you end up looking back at what a change for the better was forced on you.

Chin up lass :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You must have read my mind! I'm going to cook something nice and comforting tonight and get a beer in to share with it. Then we're going to snuggle up on the sofa and mong out for the evening, I'm looking forward to it already :)

I'm sure we'll both be feeling better soon, we have each other which is the most important thing and I know that will never change

·
Registered
674 Posts
You can do it! Until this morning it was nearly a week since I'd been for a run but when I got out of the house I found that the morning was absolutely beautiful, and I got back feeling so much better. I decided to head off down a different route which probably helped a little too as I wasn't so conscious of timings to certain points.

Good luck with everything :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes sir! LOL

I forced myself to go out for run this morning and I do feel better for it. I dont have the usual sense of happiness afterwards but I'm glad I made the effort.

I made a concious effort too to jog slowly and walked part of it though I still ended up covering 2.62 miles in 27 minutes which is a good pace for me.

With any luck I'll soon get the running bug back again, this morning was a good start :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
you would feel worse if you had an injury and could'nt run, now! get out there:d
I second that, being injured at the mo - after my last injury I never once missed a run because I didn't feel like it or couldn't be bothered, because I knew the next time I got injured, I wouldn't want to look back and think "If only I'd run when I could". Thankfully, looking back and thinking "At least I DID run when I could" is keeping me going mentally through this one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One step at a time, as they say :)

That is quick if you walked part. Are you still having trouble pacing? Also did you have a nice cuddly night ;)
I walked for about 3 minutes of it. I guess I am having trouble pacing, I think I'm going slow but I'm clearly not! I dont know what to do really? I cant make my legs go any slower or I may as walk the whole way!

We did have a cuddly night, I cooked a pasta bake then we shared a beer and watched rubbish telly, perfect!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I know how you feel Lizzy. I have been pretty stressed out and depressed about various things recently and it has been hard forcing myself to go running. I do feel better after each run temporarily, but I haven't been enjoying the actual running as much. It's been tiring and I haven't had the energy to run particularly fast. Today I intended to sit on the sofa all day and mope, but around 3 pm I thought sod it; I'll go for a run. I intended to do 4 or 5 miles and found it hard as soon as I got outside. It was cold, wet and extremely windy. Anyway, after I got to the 3 mile mark, I thought sod it. I will force myself to do a long run as punishment for being so negative and allowing myself to think of taking it easy. So I ended up doing 12.4 miles and felt so much better for it. Can't say I don't still feel a bit down and stressed, but it's not as bad as I was this morning and at the very least I can go to bed tonight with a feeling of accomplishment and I know I'm not a quitter. So just get out there and go for it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i dont know you but i dont like to hear peeps feeling down in the dumps.
i had a sticky time a few years back and instead of not exercising, i took it up, ditched the booze and fags. took up gym and long distance cycling and i feel 200% better. of course i still had my problems but i coped better with the clear head that my keep fit regime gave me.

good luck.

IT WILL GET BETTER.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts