Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just on itunes downloading some tunes (obviously).
I was just wondering what you all listen to when you run, if you have certain tracks or albums you listen to at different stages etc.
I've only just got into running to the extent of wanting to race I haven't been in the gym for any training since last year but when I last trained I was weekly completing an indoor duathlon (5krun 20kbike 5krun) and getting reasonable times. I listened to Dance Music to start with (mainly funky house for those who know) but at the end when it started hurting I'd listen to the rocky sountrack:d . What is it about the music and the films that make you want to get up and do something energetic? (except rocky5)

What do you listen to?
And do you have a certain order etc?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tend to make up playlists every few weeks, its never in any particular order, its just a case of me madly clicking on any song/artist I fancy listening to at the time! My current running soundtrack is mainly consisting of No Doubt, Letters to Cleo and the Clash - which looking it now sounds an odd little mix - but Ive been running well so it must be good!

Though I always have St Jimmy by Greenday somewhere near the end..as I dunno what it is about that song but I can be dead on my feet about 10 seconds from sitting down in the middle of the towpath and never getting up again, and that song invigorates me back and makes me feel I could keep going for ever. I also always finish on Light and Day by the Polyphonic spree coz its such a happy little song it means I get back home smiling no matter how I feel.

When I cant decide what I want I feel like listening to - I always fall back on Bullet in a Bible by Green Day! Its such an energetic live album, and it brings back happy memories, that I always exercise well too it! Though I have found myself unconciously singing (well panting/gasping is probably more accutate) along on several occasions..so I think I should avoid it if Im likely to be around others!! No deserves to hear that!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Cheesy dance music. I normally have it on shuffle, and let it surprise me.

Anything with a decent rhythm is good. If the lyrics are good enough to distract my mind, that's a plus

·
Registered
664 Posts
punk or metal for me - old or new. Heard the old first time round myself, hear the new with my son who is my gig buddy !

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
When I started running I always listened to music but I generally run with other people now and have not taken any music for a while.

Mine was always cheesy 80's pop / rock :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
I never ever ever listened to music until I joined the gym this winter (long hours in the lab and pretty bad eyesight meant I could never find the time to safely go for a run!). Then I listned to the TV and radio they had through their headset system. THEN on saturday I went out for a long run and took my MP3 player because it has an FM radio built-in. The radio wasn't working though (I think the area I was in is a radio black-spot or something!!), so I started listening to music, first Pendulum (drum n bass/techno) tracks I've got, which lasted half an hour, and then when that finished I listened to Chimaira's newest album (metal) and that was pretty amazing. All in all I'd say that was one of the best long runs I've had in a looooong while! SO maybe music does help :) I think in the future I'll probably just make a mish mash playlist of things that I like listening to. If anything it's just "company" I guess, although I do like the chatter on the radio... maybe a podcast or something?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Don't actually listen to music when I run... although I always seem to have a song running through my head. :d Sometimes I can "programme" this song, meaning I'm able to choose what I'm "hearing"... but quite often it can be a song that I don't even like! :mad: Then I have to occupy myself with trying to override the unwanted music by introducing a song of my own choosing. Sometimes works. Sometimes not. It can like being in the pub (hmmm :d ) listening to music from the jukebox that someone else has chosen.

... but if I was to go out with my iPod, this would be this week's top 5 tunes:
Fighter.... Christina Aguilera.
Spirit Of The Radio.... Rush.
The Pretender.... Foo Fighters.
Satch Boogie.... Joe Satriani
Ties That Bind.... Alter Bridge.

Anyone else care to put forward their current top 5's? :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was at the gym recently and Holiday in Cambodia (Dead Kennedys)shuffled its way into my ears and I was able to increase my effort; Fast Cars (Buzzcocks) had a similar effect. You do have to be careful with your selection as some songs make me want to bounce along and I become quite self conscious.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the entire back catalogue of The Smiths on my MP3 player. I tend only to use it on long runs over 6-7 miles because it's quite hard to stay focused on a shorter run where I'm currently trying to increase my speed a bit. I also have the entire back catalogue of A-ha programmed in there too. The rest of it is a mix of everything from 50's pop right through to folk and all sorts. I often just put it on shuffle and see what comes up.

·
Registered
664 Posts
pedestrian said:
Anyone else care to put forward their current top 5's? :cool:
for today, because I saw them last night with my son, I give you :

Korn - Blind
- Faget
- Right Now
- Bottled Up Inside

and the mighty.... Here To Stay :cool:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Lets get it started - Black Eyed Peas
Thunderbirds by Busted :rolleyes:
Macarena - Los del Mar
Hips don't lie - Shakira
I see you baby - Groove Armada

As for their artistic merit, I make neither pretence nor apology :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
music of the hills

If I ever heard anything that spurred me on to go beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, it was the sound of the wilderness, the curlews and lappwings and the sound of the traffic dwindling in the distance.:cool:

·
Registered
664 Posts
howshaw said:
If I ever heard anything that spurred me on to go beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, it was the sound of the wilderness, the curlews and lappwings and the sound of the traffic dwindling in the distance.:cool:
Believe me, running in central Glasgow you need the music :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts