Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

Some advice would be welcomed. I've been dabbling with this running business for the last 12 months but had to be careful as I've suffered with shin splints (annoyingly just as I was starting to get some real enjoyment out of it).

Did the Manchester 10K in May and have signed up for Budapest Half Marathon in early September.

Can anyone recommend the best approach to take to build up from 10K to 21K in this period (without destrtoying my shins ;))?

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I guess the best advice is to build up the mileage slowly. Start going on longer runs but at a slower pace and build up to a point where you can do a long run of 10/11 miles once a week. Just add a mile each week for the moment and see how you feel. Try and run on grass if you are worried about injuries.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Ninja Badger said:
Can anyone recommend the best approach to take to build up from 10K to 21K in this period (without destrtoying my shins ;))?
You can find a few good training plans via Google, although it might be worthwhile checking out either Runner's World or halhigdon.com first.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you let us know how you did in your 10k and what training you did that would help as everyone builds from a different point. 10k training is actually pretty good prep for a 1/2m, generally you'll just need to push your long run further than for the 10k and tack a little onto each of your other runs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts