Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right i did my first 10k last month in 46.24 which i was happy about, but thats as far as i go, im finding it hard to push my distance any further, and want to start training for a longer race in the near future. Some advice on how i can do this and how to go about it. I dont know if its because im running to fast but i find it hard to slow myself down. Any suggestions would be great thanks guys hayley

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi Hayley.

Like you I took part at Horndon on the hill last month. I ran according to my heart rate.
Since I have started doing this my pace has become more consistant and over the longer distances (10 miles, half marathon and marathon) I have gained P.b's. I used to find it hard pacing myself before and would recommend trying it if your concerned about completing the extra distance effectively.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hayley,
Intially as you start to run for longer you will find that you will have to slow down your pace a little but as your body adjusts you do get quicker. Its normal to have different paces for different races/distances. My 5k pace for instance is much much faster than my HM pace.

Just don't beat yourself up about running slower just thnk that the benefit is that you are running further.

Never increase you distance by more that 10% in any one week and some weeks step it back a little. Maybe try to increase your long runs by about a 1 mile per week and have a faster run in the week as well so you can feed the speed junky inside you. Running long and slow is a really effective work out as it burns more fat, makes you stronger and fitter.

Get your ass out there and give me 8 miles.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Hayley,
Intially as you start to run for longer you will find that you will have to slow down your pace a little but as your body adjusts you do get quicker. Its normal to have different paces for different races/distances. My 5k pace for instance is much much faster than my HM pace.

Just don't beat yourself up about running slower just thnk that the benefit is that you are running further.

Never increase you distance by more that 10% in any one week and some weeks step it back a little. Maybe try to increase your long runs by about a 1 mile per week and have a faster run in the week as well so you can feed the speed junky inside you. Running long and slow is a really effective work out as it burns more fat, makes you stronger and fitter.

Get your ass out there and give me 8 miles.
Couldn't have put it better myself SE!:d :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Hayley

The Horndon 10 k was my first aswell having only done 1/2 marathons previously I was really dissapointed with my time as I have run faster over longer distances, having said that though I hadn't done much work for the 10k (practically nothing for 3 weeks except for the week leading up to it).

I have a 13 week schedule which I could send to you, and you will be running half marathons in no time, set yourself a target of the Brentwood Half next March, you will need base training of 20 miles per week for at lease a month prior to the schedule with no speed work until you start the schedule, if you would like it let me know?

You are more than capable.

TT :d

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TT that would be great if you could send me your 13 week schedule as this is new to me longer distances so id appreciate that thanks again

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
.....TT that sounds like a tough schedule the ones I followed were nothing like that I'm only just at 20 miles a week now having done two half marathons.

Hayley have a look at www.halhigdon.com and www.runinjuryfree.com your first race is always about getting round and as its the first its a guaranteed PB.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks i'll have a good look at these too, its all new to me following a training programme, but ill give it a shot SE hayley

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
The schedules I have followed have been taken from a Bob Glover book, the schedules are for novice runners through to competitor level runners.

I noticed the Hal Higdon schedule is 12 weeks SE, the one I am suggesting is only an extra week?

These are all I have ever done so I don't have anything else to compare it too.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
twinkle toes said:
The schedules I have followed have been taken from a Bob Glover book, the schedules are for novice runners through to competitor level runners.

I noticed the Hal Higdon schedule is 12 weeks SE, the one I am suggesting is only an extra week?

These are all I have ever done so I don't have anything else to compare it too.

Is was the 20 miles base that you had to have before starting the training programme that scared me.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I reckon that as long as you can run 10k then 12 weeks to train for a 1/2m is sufficient.

A 20m per week base is a bit extreme for a beginner doing a 1/2m schedule.... I'd start my 1/2m schedule at that base level

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Steve said:
I reckon that as long as you can run 10k then 12 weeks to train for a 1/2m is sufficient.

A 20m per week base is a bit extreme for a beginner doing a 1/2m schedule.... I'd start my 1/2m schedule at that base level
Only going by the book, I assumed a 20 mile per week base training is required to give you the best possible start to your schedule, I didn't really think to much about it, when I did it, just thought it was the norm.

If you are going to cover such a distance in the first place isn't it good to get the base mileage in your legs? :huh:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You do need good base mileage....as a beginner though schedules tend to bit a bit more forgiving. Being able to 20m a week before starting a schdeul clearly gives one a good chance of doing 2/3 runs of 1/2m distance before the race itself. I'll generally do a 15m run as part of my 1/2m training.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts