Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My physio (who is not near where I currently live) has advised me that my shoulders and upper back are completely locked up, with long established muscle spasms. And this is cause of other pain and problems.

She has recommened a course of 4-6 treatments aimed at releasing the spasms and knots. With someone qualified to do trigger point / accupressure treatment. She says it isnt the same as sports massage. I am struggling to find a suitable therapist. Internet searching brings up a load of fluffy new age sites. I will struggle to pay for the 4-6 treatments, and I want to find someone that will really go deep (ouch) and work to remove all the muscle knots and spasms, rather than do a light massage, and charge me lots for it.

My physio has given me a series of stretches and exercises to go with the treatment.

Any ideas how I find the right therapist? Any recommendations? I live in Twickenham, work in Westminster / Victoria. Can access anywhere by car around SW London / outskirts. Spend a lot of time in Chobham / Chertsey area. Have a feeling further out of London and treatment in someone's home might be cheaper?

Many thanks

Pip

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm dead lucky insomuch as my neighbour up here in Yorkshire specializes in Traditional Thai Massage. Like magic he's been able to sort out my last two running injuries. The first was a repetitive calf injury with a lot of scar tissue forming a huge knot at the top of the Soleus. Some deep, and sometimes painful, massage got rid of that in a couple of sessions. More recently, three weeks before my last race, I pulled a hamstring while out training and had a very painful two-mile limp back home. I'd given up hope of doing my ten mile race but, after five sessions with my Therapist, I not only ran the race but won my category in a time I didn't dream possible. (Mind you, I've felt knackered ever since!).
But what I'm saying is that I can strongly recommend my practitioner's methods, strange though some of them may seem, but it probably wont come cheap in your area. Have a Google for 'Traditional Thai Massage' and see what comes up.
Cheers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
wingedhorse said:
Hello,

My physio (who is not near where I currently live) has advised me that my shoulders and upper back are completely locked up, with long established muscle spasms. And this is cause of other pain and problems.

She has recommened a course of 4-6 treatments aimed at releasing the spasms and knots. With someone qualified to do trigger point / accupressure treatment. She says it isnt the same as sports massage. I am struggling to find a suitable therapist. Internet searching brings up a load of fluffy new age sites. I will struggle to pay for the 4-6 treatments, and I want to find someone that will really go deep (ouch) and work to remove all the muscle knots and spasms, rather than do a light massage, and charge me lots for it.

My physio has given me a series of stretches and exercises to go with the treatment.

Any ideas how I find the right therapist? Any recommendations? I live in Twickenham, work in Westminster / Victoria. Can access anywhere by car around SW London / outskirts. Spend a lot of time in Chobham / Chertsey area. Have a feeling further out of London and treatment in someone's home might be cheaper?

Many thanks

Pip
Hi,
I live near Twickenham and would be interested if you find someone who can do that too.
I believe that it is called myofascial release and can be achieved with pressure or with needles.
I go to a sports therapist who is very good at releasing tight muscles with deep, vigourous massage. Maybe give that a go?
A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts