Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Completed my first 10k this morning :d

Infact it was actually 10.28k with the route I mapped out. Completed that in 55:30 which is roughly 53 mins for the 10k? Not sure how that is for a first timer but feel that I could have run it a little faster but hey, a personal best so far. I was quite surprised that I had not wanted to stop during the distance so happy with that too.

Left at approx 7.15am in nice sunshine but glad I did as when I got home the rain poured down :eek:

I do have a little soreness in the lower back area. Not sure what caused that.

Anyway, I'm happy this Sunday morning. Have a great one guys/gals.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hi Garywatt. Congrats on your first 10k. That is a very respectable time for a first timer. You will get faster the more you do these kinds of runs. Maybe set your next goal as breaking 50 minutes :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Gary that is a fantastic time. I think you did really well!

I'm doing my first 10k in a few weeks and I would like to know how to get faster, I can currently run that distance at 10 minute miles, if I run a shorter distance I can run about 8-9 minute miles. But I can't at the moment keep that speed for 10k. Mind you I only started running less than 3 months ago.

I don't know if I should try to start running faster in short bursts during my training runs, have you got any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all

JBBury, thanks. Appreciate the comment.

Dimple, thanks for your comment too.

Being a newbie myself I am sure the other guys will advise you better on speed etc. I had decided to take it easy for my first 10k. It seemed to go quick (probably because of the iPod) but the time was longer than I expected. Maybe I was expecting too much. Now I have a benchmark to beat!

Speaking of iPod, I usually use one of the small Shuffles but decided to buy an armband for my Nano 3G. Was a Belkin brand and pretty cheap from Amazon. I was not sure how I would go with it but to be honest I really didn't notice it was on my arm.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well done Gary... :)

Was that a race or a 10k run you did on your own?

If it was a run done on your own then when you do a 10k race you will find that you naturally run faster without even realising

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Trinity

Thanks for your message. Was a run done on my own. Aberdeen has the Baker Hughes 10k next weekend but I have decided to hold off entering any this year. Want to get a years training under my belt first so I don't look like a tit ;)

I want to try the Balmoral 10k next year (April) Think that might be my first race.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
garywatt said:
Hi Trinity

Thanks for your message. Was a run done on my own. Aberdeen has the Baker Hughes 10k next weekend but I have decided to hold off entering any this year. Want to get a years training under my belt first so I don't look like a tit ;)

I want to try the Balmoral 10k next year (April) Think that might be my first race.

Cheers

Gary

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Seize the moment Gary!

Trust me, doing a 10k in less than an hour you will most certainly not look like a tit...or any other bird come to that ;)

Nobody knows what could happen in the space of a year... enter one soon and enjoy.
Anyway, officially PB's only count in races so you'll be denying yourself official PBs if you get all your times down in training

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
And one more thing... if you go to the 10k race website and look at previous results then you will know that I'm right when I say that you are a perfectly good standard already to run a good 10k

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd echo Trinity's comments. I did a 10k race 6 weeks ago. My time? 53.40. You won't look like a tit at all.

There's no better feeling than completing a race. Go for it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go for it!

Well done on your first 10k, Gary. Your time is already respectable, but I think you will find you go much faster in a race. Some sort of magic seems to occur when you're all lined up with other runners and the starting whistle goes!! Even when I think I am running my hardest in training, I find I can somehow go much faster when the 'race magic' hits!
And quite apart from times, taking part in a race is fantastic fun.
So don't wait a whole year to join in...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Gary,
my first and second finishing times were 55mins for the first two 10k's that I ever did. Stop the doubt and get out there for that race! You are without doubt fit enough to finish it comfortably so just do it. I promise you will not regret it:) By the way, one year later and I'm still trying to break the sub-50 10k and my current time is 51mins. We are not all elite runners. Just do it man:)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Run that race next week Gary.

You are obviously ready for it.......

You wont regret it........believe me.........

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all

Well guys, I have chickened out :embarrassed:

Decided not to enter the Baker Hughes 10k in Aberdeen this Sunday. I personally feel that I am still new to this game. Once I am happy with myself I will enter some races.

Anyway, planning to do the same 10k run that I did last weekend to see if I can better the time.

Thanks for the encouragement though :cool:

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
56 Posts
:(

Ah well, good stuff for carrying on with the running. Put an entry for a race at the end of the year, it'll help with motivation for your training and you won't regret it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fandango

Thanks. Will sure do something next year.

As it happens I am quite glad that I did not enter todays race (just started). I had planned my own 10k this morning but felt really crap after about 15 mins into my run. I seemed to loose energy and during the 6.58k I had to stop 3 times :embarrassed:

Weather was not too bad,. sunny with slight wind so God only knows what happened. We all have our off days and this has to be the worst since I started in November.

Cheers

Gary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts