Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my big toe wearing through the top of my running shoes. First "proper" pair of shoes were some asics. Lasted < 30 miles before they had a hole in the top. Sent them back.

So I went for a pair of KSwiss with a pretty thick top area. Really comfy, been happy with them, but now < 6 months of wear (about 300 miles), I've got a hole again:

Seems that as I run, both of my big toes lift up. I keep my nails pretty short.

I really do not want to replace £90 running shoes every <6 months. So does anyone have any suggestions for a stronger replacement?

My right foot underpronates a bit, but my left foot is pretty normal. I run 95% on pavements (clearly the picture above shows that occassionally I go off road!).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I assume the shoes fit you well? There should be a bit of a gap between the end of your big toe and the end of the shoe, roughly a thumb's width so they say.

You can try reinforcing the area with something on the inside of the shoe. I've successfully used self-adhesive puncture repair patches before, but something like gaffa tape might work as well.

In any case, as long as the hole doesn't get too big it shouldn't warrant replacement of the shoes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just run with them as they are and patch them up.

Nothing like kicking it old school with well worn gear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some shoes have more height in the toe box than others so worth trying to find them.
I too have this problem but it does not affect your running in any way when you use them so just stay with them till your shoes are due for a change anyway.
In fact, if I get a pair of shoes that turn out not to have the required height and my big toes rub against the top, I have been known to use the old remedy of taking a craft knife and cutting a cross about 3/4 inch long in the shoes above each big toe and problem sorted .( I discovered this solution after running a half some years ago in a brand new untested pair of shoes and a month later my big toe nails came off with my socks .)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If the hole is being caused by your big toe nail, looking at the picture and the location of the hole are you sure you have the correct size of shoe ?.....just a thought :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the hole is being caused by your big toe nail, looking at the picture and the location of the hole are you sure you have the correct size of shoe ?.....just a thought :)
Show too big you mean? Do you think my toe should be substantially closer to the end?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Show too big you mean? Do you think my toe should be substantially closer to the end?
Yes :tup: I'm normally a size 10 in day to day shoes / trainers but my work boots and running shoes are both size 11 mainly for the extra width as I have broad feet so I need some room for movement but even my toes would not pierce the running shoe at the same point as yours show in the picture :)

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Firstly I would personally say 300 miles is not that bad.

Secondly I would say make a conscious effort to relax your shoulders.

Thirdly Try Asics Nimbus (Good cushioned shoe for underpronators)

Relaxing the shoulders will also help relax your arms, in turn relax your legs, and in turn relax your feet, in turn not make your feet tense up and point upwards and have no pressure on the upper of the shoe.

Fourthly (If that's a word), try to make slightly shorter strides and land your feet more under your body, this will help to land better and keep better structure and more relaxed.

Fifthly: Have at least a thumb's width between your big toe and the end of the front of the shoe, or more.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting input, thanks.

Suggsy's "fifthly" would fit in with about the gap that I have in my current (holed) shoes.

When I've tried smaller shoes (Wino), my toes have felt cramped width ways, so I'd have to be very careful if I went down that route, although I see your point.

suggsy - I will try the relaxing ideas. I think I'm pretty relaxed, but not sure. I have been trying to land my feet under my body more by leaning slightly forward, but again will concentrate on that (so much to think about!).

Again, thanks for everyone's contributions, much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
That's cool, I know the 'best' way to run but I am rubbish at it, I just run as I run and get on with it, I do tend to have a natural forward lean but just run, I do have much better form since losing 6 stone though I must admit :tup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
For years, we (my husband & I) struggled with toe holes poking through every pair of running shoes we've owned. It was very frustrating & very expensive. We finally found a product that solves this problem & saves our shoes. I hope this helps others out as well. We found it on Amazon, here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGI2JAG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts