Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaaah ive just entered my first 10k in September, its for cancer research again so its for a good cause. I need advice because i definately need to get my butt into gear now. I'm on holiday for two weeks at the beginning of August will i need to run there so i dont lose me fitness level? Then again i havent really got one at the mo i havent run for 10 days so i need to get moving.:(

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Well done, your well on your way for just entering, a few runs on holiday then really set your self a goal and make a dairy a week at a time and write down when your going to run ( because it suits and you can) and how far, try and enjoy the training as well H.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hayley do you think i need to start clocking up the miles more now, i only tend to do 3 miles each run i do in the week and 6miles on a weekend i dont think thats enough do you?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Stotty,
Try to vary your midweek runs so that you do different distances, hill and speed sessions. In time, say late August try to do at least one 7m run slowly to give you extra confidence on race day.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Maybe do 3 miles, 4 miles and a longer run at the weekend depending on how its fits in with your life and family but I think you have a good base for a 10k and you should be ok. I would enjoy your holiday in August make sure you don't neglect your family and yourself but take a pair of running shoes in case you get opportunity to go out for an early morning run. You won't lose too much fitness over 2 weeks just make sure you and the family keep active - it will be good for all of you.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
S.E great advice, enjoy the hoilday first Stotty then start thinking/ training have a great time, where are you of too anyway?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're going to Majorca for two weeks i cant wait, ive not been away for two weeks in a long time.Thanks everyone i will take my running shoes with me just in case but you know what i'm like it takes me ages to pluck up the courage to run somewhere new ha. I'm quite determined at the mo probably the thought of putting a bikini on thats doing it. Me and my son have just been out on the bikes you should see the state of us covered in mud from head to foot.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Thats what i love about having children you can still do silly things/ muddy things and you dont get to many funny looks, they just think you'v done it because of them. But really its a good excuse to do bike rides through the mud and play 'silly buggers', as i put it.
Stotty have a great hoilday, im of to italy with my sis for my 30th soon cant wait.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
The hard bit is signing up to a race (so I am told ;) )Good luck with the training Stotty and enjoy your holiday :d

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice i'm started to get a bit worried i only managed to fit in 9 miles all last week so its not good, i'm more on track this week though i'm hoping to do 18 miles if all goes well and that'll be more than ive done in a week since i started in february it probably doesnt seem a lot to most of you though. I desperately need a running partner now its worked for me on my own so far but now i want to progress i'm finding it hard on my own.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive tried to register on line twice at my local running club but thats as far as i get they send me an email confirming then when i try to get on the forum or anything it throws me out, ive even emailed a member whose address is on the site and havent had a reply.Funnily enough when i went on their website i seen something on a ladies running group that runs where i run on a weds nite so i purposely went out tonite to see if i could find them but had no luck. Maybe i'll ring the woman from the running group that starts up in sept she might know someone who runs on their own that might need some company.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Stotty it will be ok you are easily fast enough to run with a club and you make some really good friends that way.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Turn up on the night Stotty and go run!
Clubs are very inclusive these days and I doubt you will be the slowest there.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
steepler said:
Turn up on the night Stotty and go run!
Clubs are very inclusive these days and I doubt you will be the slowest there.
And even if you are it shouldn't matter. On our club runs our slowest lady always has someone to run with and we all wait at the end to see her in and chat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts