Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first 10k at Tatton Park, i was really nervous and it was delayed coz loads of people were late but we eventually set off unfortunatley i was in the middle(i wont make that mistake again) there was 3000 people running it was huge. I didnt get the best time i done it in 1hr 8mins but i couldnt of done it any faster, i ran all the way so i knew i'd done my best. So thats me for the night ive had a hot bath and its take aways all round for tea, no cooking for me tonight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep your'e right ive been thinking of the pier to pier in a couple of weeks, its fleetwood to blackpool but i wanted to see how i felt after this one, i dont feel too bad up to now i probably wont be able to walk tomorrow.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well done Stotty, big race! now you have a PB to beat, that's why it's best not to go too mad at your first race, here's to the next one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Blackpool pier to pier is 15k i think so its a lot more than ive done before but i think you can register on the day so i'll see how long it takes me to get my legs back to normal. They are quite sore at the back of my knees today but nothing like as sore as they were when i done my first 5k so all the advice from everyone on here really helped. Thanks

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great news Stotty, glad you are feeling good after the race and raring to go for another, once the bug bits it really gets you ha ha :d

·
Registered
36 Posts

Hi There

Like Stotty, I'm new to 10k running and am in need of some advice. I'm also a little unsure about forum etiquette, so hope I'm doing the right thing by asking my questions here.

I've recently signed up for pre-registration for the 10k BUPA run in Manchester. I'll be running for Refuge. I usually run to burn off calories at the gym, so taking note of distance and pace is new to me. I've been monitoring what I can do over the last few days, and I'm completing 5k in half an hour. So my questions are as follows:

1. Is that "normal"?
2. Sould I look to increase pace or logevity first? The most time I've ran for up to now is 45min - so should I be looking to up my pace or increse my running time first?
3. I've been running about 4/5 times a week, plus doing cross tracker, stepper and weights work (primarily on my lower body) - is that enough?

I think that's it for now. If age/sex is a factor, I'm a 31 year old woman!

Help!! :embarrassed: :eek:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Seems to me your doing ok Ilsa. (When is the race.)

5k in 30 minutes is fine.

Increase the time on your feet,rather than worrying about your pace.

You are doing more than enough training.

If you carry on as you are a 10k will not be a problem for you.

Once you have run one race you be looking for the next.

All the best and good luck.

Dave.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Ilsa welcome to the forum, enjoy your first race and don't put too much pressure on yourself with time, like Dave said you will do one and then want to do more, good luck and keep us posted on how you get on :d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Stotty said:
Just finished my first 10k at Tatton Park, i was really nervous. I was in the middle(wont make that mistake again) I didn't get the best time, done it in 1h8mins.
Well done Stotty. Now you've proved to yourself that you can do it, you wont be as nervous next time. You've also learned not to get jammed in the middle of the pack, so you'll be into your race pace a bit quicker next time. So, here's to your next 10K and a certain PB.
Cheers!
PS. Have you entered the Traveller's '6'?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hello Isla,
I'm fairly new to 10k's too, having only done two so far. Just concentrate on getting round - finishing in itself is rewarding enough:) Looking at the number of times you run every week and the fact that you know you can run for 45 mins, I'd say you'll be fine. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The race is mid-May, so I'm hoping to be well prepared by then.

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement and advice. I'm finding this forum to be both informative and inspirational.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ilsa,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your first 10K. To prepare yourself I would gradually increase your running time to 1hr by maybe increasing your long run by 5 mins per week.

P.S I'm running the Thro the villages race jst outside Chorley this Sunday. Its just over 8 miles and hilly - I'm just aiming to finish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts