Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow runners

Well the day fast approached and has now passed and I am glad to say I survived my first 10k race. Walsall 10k was the event held yesterday in what was probably just about perfect weather conditions, not to warm, not to cold, a little overcast and no rain...perfectttttt. I set off not really knowing where I was going but just followed everyone else...but I nearly had a heart attack when I saw a sign that said 4k... I looked at my watch and I had been running for around 1/2 an hour and thought blimey I have got another 6k to go...that was a slow 4k....only then to see another sign shortly after saying 3k...this is when the penny sank and I knew that was how far left to go and not how far I had run.... I kept going and came in with a time around 48 mins which I thought was pretty respectable really conidering I have only been running for around 4 - 5 weeks..

Not sure if anyone else ran it...but I would like to know my official time...Is there some where I can get this or will it be e-mailed to me once the organisers get round to it...

Just 4 weeks to go until my first half marathon now :'(

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
a countdown of how far was left? I've not seen that one before!!! (although one event did have "800m to go" and "400m to go" signs)

Congrats on a great first 10k time! Just keep googling Walsall 10k results... they'll be online sooner or later - in my experience, even if I do get an email to say the results are available, it's usually an eternity after they've been put online!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard...Just got notification that results will be available tomorrow...cool beans... I thought it rather strange posting how far to go as well...but having not run a race before I wouldn't really know...I certainly think it maybe worth a half way marker giving people something to aim for and to give an indication of how well they are doing...but I suppose this could work to a disadvantage if the time is not good they may back off altogether...Thanks for the encouragment as always..

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Nice run Deano.

Looks like you posted a real good time.
for your first 10k.

What`s next........?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
well done deano, you are all set for your half now :d

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice run Deano.

Looks like you posted a real good time.
for your first 10k.

What`s next........?
Birmingham half marathon on the 26th October and I am still waiting to here if my quest to run the London marathon is successful

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any sign of the results Deano? :cool:
Result was 48:32 postion 142..out of 402 runners slightly disappointed in the position but then I was really please with my time..and at least now I know what I have to compete with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the support as usual guys...as mentioned above I now know what I am up against and will be looking for a better time next race...got the real bug now though and was tempted to find another 10k in the next couple of weeks...but I think I am better of concentrating on my training for the Half marathon now as it is only 4 weeks away...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Good run Deano.
Positions are always effected by the ability of the runners taking part...I was 16th in my last race...out of 136. In previous years more good runners have run that event so my time this year wouldn't have placed me so high.

In other words your time is more important than your position.....unless you are racing to win that is!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good run Deano.
Positions are always effected by the ability of the runners taking part...I was 16th in my last race...out of 136. In previous years more good runners have run that event so my time this year wouldn't have placed me so high.

In other words your time is more important than your position.....unless you are racing to win that is!!
I thought the time was more important and glad that you back this up...I certainly have something to aim for in terms of my times now which I think is a good thing and as they say I should only get better from now on in....Thanks again

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Steve makes a very valid point - it's not until your challenging for a podium spot that position really makes much difference since the calibre of your competitors can vary so much! in the past year I've varied in every race, finishing from around 20% of the way through the field, and as high as 1.3%! it all depends on the number of competitive club runners racing ;) You're time is far more important :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Blimey I must watch what I say.....can't be seen to be making sensible valid points too often!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Steve makes a very valid point - it's not until your challenging for a podium spot that position really makes much difference since the calibre of your competitors can vary so much! in the past year I've varied in every race, finishing from around 20% of the way through the field, and as high as 1.3%! it all depends on the number of competitive club runners racing ;) You're time is far more important :)
You actually work out your position as a percentage of the field? I thought I was geeky :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
erm yes... how else can I compare one event to another :p I started doing it because people always ask where I came, then follow it with "but how many were running"... Now I just confuse them with a percentage :d

I know 'October' is the time for the FLM ballot draw Deano, but do you know what date?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
erm yes... how else can I compare one event to another :p I started doing it because people always ask where I came, then follow it with "but how many were running"... Now I just confuse them with a percentage :d

I know 'October' is the time for the FLM ballot draw Deano, but do you know what date?
Rich - No I dont..but I missed out on the ballot so trying to pull in a few favours..so I guess I may have to wait a few more weeks until I found out...But yes I think you are right for those who applied via ballot they should find out this month if successful or not

1 - 19 of 19 Posts