Runners Forum banner

My first 10k!

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Running Blackbird 
#1 ·
Hello.

I am new here and am looking for some advice.

I am building a new me this year. I aim to lose weight and tone up.

I have decided to help me with this, I want to do a run for charity (never done this before) I have found a 10k run that's happening on the 3rd of May this year. This is going to give me 14 weeks to practice and get myself ready.

Do you have any tips?

Thanks x

#2 ·
How much running have you already done?

A few tips:
- don't start off too fast. Just because everyone else is, doesn't mean you have to
- get used to whatever you're planning on wearing on the day
- you need to drink more in the week before the 10k

#3 ·
My tips:

Don't worry about speed, just concentrate on building up distance and the speed will take care of itself.

If you feel any pain or niggles, stop and get them checked out. Don't push through regardless if you think something might be wrong.

Hydration, hydration, hydration.

Get some proper running shoes.

Like Sofie asks, are you starting from scratch or have you done some running before?

Welcome to the forum by the way! You've picked a good way to start the New Year and to lose weight and tone up. This is the main reason I started running but you'll soon find the other benefits include reduced stress levels and more confidence... well, they did for me, anyway. Good luck! x

#4 ·
#5 ·
I done the c25k and after completion I was able to do a slow 10k in training. (59mins) so if time is not of the essence that shouldn't be a problem, good luck.:) CAC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.