Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I just thought I would share with you my excitement as I just completed my first 5k yesterday...I did it 30 mins (slow I know) but I have only been running outside for 6 weeks!!

How do I improve on this as I don't feel I could do it again for a while so where do I go from here with my training?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well done.

Big pat on the back for you.
Quite good for your first time out. Remember ever run is different, some are hilly, some are flat, some on and someoff-road, each will have different times.

Nothing wrong with 30mins. My first 5k was 31mins something.

Keep up the training and enter another 5k if poss.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well done you!

Try not to let your training lapse now you've done the race. You will get better, stronger and faster if you keep on training.

Try doing some short sprints and some very slow longer than 5k runs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well done Nellie!

I did my first 5k in about 32mins and was beyond chuffed with it!

Unfortunately I did exactly what Steve has said not to let happen! My training lapsed for the rest of the summer. But I've picked it up again and im training for a 10k next month.

Maybe try entering another 5k in a couple of months and try to improve on your times.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone I will keep up with my training and you never know where it will lead me ha! ha!,
I have come a long way since this time last year when I lost my mum to breast cancer and didn't know where to turn or what to do, but since I have taken up running i'm back on track (excuse the pun)...I will keep you updated......

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well done Nellie....no stopping you now.....take it steady, but really important, make sure you keep enjoying it. My 1st and only 5k was 30 mins 47 secs, I was pleased with that, if you do it too fast 1st time....you make have a hard job beating it.

My 1st 10k is Sunday.....I am a bag of nerves. Must get a hold on myself.

Keep on running

Bagpuss (Lyn)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did my first 5k about 3 to 4 weeks ago (not in a race mind you), but am now running it in about 32 - 33 minutes.

Funny thing though is that I am finding it hard to improve on that. I've run out of the training plan that got me to 5k, and the ones on the web that train you up for 10k start at a much higher level than I am at the moment. Hence I seem to be a little stuck at 5k, and seem to run out of steam to get beyond that. I know I should try to increase my distance by 10% every week or two, but I just can't quite find the energy.

Why is that, and what should I do? Advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Karen

I am exactly the same... now that I did the 5k I feel as though I don't have enough energy to improve on that... I did a run last week which was approx just over 5 miles but I think that was just a one off, and as you say the training for 10ks all seem a bit advanced.

Where do we go from here????

·
Registered
29 Posts
The BUPA website has a 10k training plan that follows on from where their 5k plan stops. It might be worth looking to see if it's about the right level.

I'm not finished the 5k plan yet but when I do I'll start on the 10k straight away. If anything I think it takes a backward step for the first week or so.

Jeanette

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Nellie,

I never have really improved much on my 5k time, but find it helps to do longer runs 4 or 5 miles ish at normal pace, with perhaps a couple of 'faster bursts' if you feel you can. Then try just two or a bit more mile runs with a mile warm up then the rest at a faster pace. Your stamina and energy will slowly build from there. Once you have got to the 5 and 6 mile runs, I bet you will feel that 5k is easier and up your pace a bit. I think it all takes time, but when you get comfortable with your pace, then you need to push yourself a little bit more, otherwise your body won't respond.

Anyway, just keep going, you will get there.

good luck,

Lyn.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Lyn

I will give your advice a go this week, did gym work this morning so I plan to run tomorrow, I will see what time I have as to whether I do a long or short one... I'll keep you posted....
Nellie (Lyn)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks Jeanette,

I'll also give the BUPA training schedule a go - it really looks as though it will help push me forward. Here is the link to it, if others are also interested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts