Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up for my first race the other day :) It's a 10k in Newcastle:
Heaton Harriers Town Moor Memorial 10k at RaceEntry.co.uk

I know I can manage the distance comfortably, as I hit 10.6k the last time I went out running (woop!), but other than that I've very little idea what it's going to be like, or how it's going to work. Any advice or general info for someone doing their first race? Running with music, running to keep up with people ahead, etc?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
DONT set off to too quickly!!!!

its sooooo easy to start going with the crowd and then you end up burning out.

the first target for every race is to finish.. time etc come secondary.

personally i always try to do a plan before hand... i.e. i know how long it takes me to do 5k etc so i mentally say ok... i need to be here by 5km mark.. but that comes with experiance.

as for keeping with other people, music etc.. its up to you.
i think for your first go out, enjoy it, finish, and almost treat it as a training run.. if u normally use music.. do it..

but most importantly enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
If you get a chance to walk / run the course before the event then I would recommend this as well so you know where the hills are and anything else which might come as a suprise while running the race.

All the best and let us know how you get on :)

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
There's a place called Heaton Moor a few miles from me so thought it was a local race for a minute!

First race it's hard to say - you will probably run a bit faster than you have done in training due to adrenaline and excitement, but as others have said don't get too carried away and think because you feel fine going at breakneck pace after 2 minutes you can keep it up for 10k as you won't last!

Try to run with others of your own pace - difficult to judge at first, my own strategy is to start around the back and pick people off. If I can comfortably keep up with someone in front for 5 minutes, next target is to overtake them, etc.

One thing is for sure, you will never run your first race again, so soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the moment, and relish the fact that for the only time in your life, you are guaranteed a race day 10k PB :cool:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I just signed up for my first race the other day :) It's a 10k in Newcastle:
Heaton Harriers Town Moor Memorial 10k at RaceEntry.co.uk

I know I can manage the distance comfortably, as I hit 10.6k the last time I went out running (woop!), but other than that I've very little idea what it's going to be like, or how it's going to work. Any advice or general info for someone doing their first race? Running with music, running to keep up with people ahead, etc?
Good luck you will always remember your first race, enjoy it :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You`re obviously well prepared Steve,so........

Take your time and Enjoy it.

You can never run your first race again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it standard for local races (this race is probably going to have about 400 people taking part) to have markers laid out for every km of the way? I'm intending on keeping track of my distance and comparing it to times throughout the race.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
errm... i would expect at the very least one at 5km.. but not nessassarily (sp) every k or mile... email the organisers and ask

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would say so, every local race I have done have always been marked, but definitely worth checking.

:d

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently did my first race, also a 10k.
Its a brillaitn experience and the crowds like it when you sprint finish hehe.
Just set off with the masses and settle into your normal pace as soon as you get some space.
If i was you, just run at the same pace through out the race, and only up your speed if you feel you have something left for a sprint finish.
If you feel your struggling at any time, just take a bit out your pace...but just keep thinking to yourself that your almost there and you'll feel on top of the world once youve caught your breath back after the finish.
God luck and enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd expect there to be markers at each km... though don't expect to see them all. I've often been racing and think to myself "We MUST be near the next mile/km marker by now!" and then nothing... but before you know it your run past the next one and realise you obviously missed the last. lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thinking of giving this one a go aswell! just to test the water and see how far my pace has fall off in the last 8 years since i raced. distance should be ok for me, and ive still got 2.5 weeks yet!... now how to lose 2.5 stone in that time hmm.......

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
someone once suggested to me that the easiest way for me to loose 2 stone of ugly fat was to chop my head off...im not sure what they were trying to tell me though :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts