Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't make it to the RF Social as I had to look after my son but managed to take him to Stathern yesterday and left him in the park with my girlfriend while I entered the 10k there.

Did it in 46 minutes which was great, my goal was 50 minutes. One of the things I did wrong was rushing off with the fast runners at the start. I knew there was something wrong when I was right up with the safety car leading the race. I did the first mile in 6.10 which is much much faster than my normal pace of about 7.10. Second mile was about 7 minutes then I spent the next 4 miles getting slower and slower. Had loads of people overtake me and really struggled with the last mile. I think my time would have been better if I hadn't gone off like an idiot at the start.

Still, had a great time as it was my first race and probably learnt a lot. Definately hooked now and can't wait to enter my next race.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
I couldn't make it to the RF Social as I had to look after my son but managed to take him to Stathern yesterday and left him in the park with my girlfriend while I entered the 10k there.

Did it in 46 minutes which was great, my goal was 50 minutes. One of the things I did wrong was rushing off with the fast runners at the start. I knew there was something wrong when I was right up with the safety car leading the race. I did the first mile in 6.10 which is much much faster than my normal pace of about 7.10. Second mile was about 7 minutes then I spent the next 4 miles getting slower and slower. Had loads of people overtake me and really struggled with the last mile. I think my time would have been better if I hadn't gone off like an idiot at the start.

Still, had a great time as it was my first race and probably learnt a lot. Definately hooked now and can't wait to enter my next race.
Thats a common mistake not to worry though it's the best way to learn not ot do it again.

Great result all the same!;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your first race S,

Bloody good time too.Nice one.

Whats next.......????

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend is trying to get me to do the Nottingham Robin Hood half marathon but I'm not sure if I'll be ready. There is also another 10k in Stathern in December but its all hills which could be fun so I'll probably enter that. I think there is a limit of 100 runners but its called the Tough 10k which is a bit worrying.

I'm going to see what other 10k's are around as I wouldn't mind entering one next month maybe.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Ah... you have to go off too fast at least once, or you'll never know how fast you can get away with setting off!

1min/mile is definately a big difference in running pace, and it's quite understandable you were tiring as the race went on, and having people overtaking you seems to just drain the energy even more doesn't it!

If you can hold yourself back next time, and run a more evenly paced race, you'll find you have bags more energy towards the end, and being able to overtake other people is such a psychological boost it'll spur you on to an even better time :)

Congratulations for this one, and best of luck for the next one :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Excellent result.

Would have been quicker but for the "glory " start!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The funny thing was, I didn't even feel like I was going too fast until I checked my watch after a mile.

All I need to do now is build up my stamina to do 6 miles like that and I'll be able to keep up with all you faster runners on here.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Wish I could run 10k at 6 min pace.....6.23 was my pb pace I think.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well Done S. :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Trin... what did your Garmin clock the course as? Mine thought it was 6.27mi - I'm guessing those Buzzing electricity pylons/cables didn't help the GPS signal too much! lol.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
for a 10k - start slow, run the second half faster than the first and save energy for a sprint finish...

pull off that tactic well and you can, in my experience, beat people much more experienced...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
also be careful of crafty runners particularly if you are struggling in a race... for example, i don't sprint past people starting to struggle... what i do is pretend i can't overtake them, run next to them or tail them very closely for about a minute (most people egos get the better of them and they up their pace to stop you overtaking) but since you are faking the struggle you can easily maintain the pace... eventually they watch you drift past them and they are screwed for the rest of the race... lol ;)...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
also be careful of crafty runners particularly if you are struggling in a race... for example, i don't sprint past people starting to struggle... what i do is pretend i can't overtake them, run next to them or tail them very closely for about a minute (most people egos get the better of them and they up their pace to stop you overtaking) but since you are faking the struggle you can easily maintain the pace... eventually they watch you drift past them and they are screwed for the rest of the race... lol ;)...
Cunning as a wily old fox!

All's fair in love, war and racing!:d

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brilliant result, well done you! 46min 10k is fantastic, Im looking forward to my first 10k, sounds like fun :)

O.
It was great, really enjoyed it. Even though it was a small race of about 160 people there was still a great atmosphere. I never thought I would have enjoyed the whole racing experience like I did so I'm definately going to be doing another one soon. It was also a good day out for the family. They had ice-cream and sat in a beer garden.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts